How to Make Your Own Tarot Bag
There are benefits for handcrafting your own tarot bag. You can pick your own fabric design. You can add character to the bag, by adding details: use a fabric pen to add writing, design a small pocket to place a crystal, or maybe add some beads to the pull string. The ideas are endless and the choices are yours.
You also give a gentle flow of energy into the bag during the time you handle the material. Sort of like food that tastes better when cooked with love, your tarot bag can have added protection because it was created with love. And it’s easy!
What you need:
- Fabric – recycled or new – yes you can finally do something with that old scarf you never where.
- Matching thread and needle (optional sewing machine)
- Ribbon or Cord for pull string
- Optional beads, charms, etc.
You will need to cut the fabric to the size which best suits your deck. Sizes vary, but on most occasions you would need either two pieces at 5 x 7 or one piece at 5 x 14. The instruction which follows is for the one piece, 5 X 14, material.
- Lay out your material out so that the faded side is facing you. Fold each end about ¾ of an inch and pin. You will then need to sew both ends.
- Fold the material in half, joining at the sewn ends. The faded side of the material should still be facing you. Sew along both edges, stopping at the edge of the previously sewn section.
- Turn the material inside out, or rather right side out. You will now have the darker side of the material out. And you are almost done with your new tarot bag!
- Time for the drawstrings. Cut two ribbons about 12 to 15 inches long. The length will depend on the size of your bag. You need each long enough to pass through each flap and enough left over for beads, if desired.
- With a safety pin attached to one end of the ribbon, guide it through one of your sewn flaps. Moving the pin through the material, continue until you have arrived at the other end, pulling it through slightly.
- Now, insert the safety pin through the other sewn flap. Work it through, until you've reached the other end. Pull the two ends through evenly.
- Repeat with the other ribbon, threading it through from the opposite end as the first. When done, you should have two ends of ribbon coming out of each side of the flaps.
- If you wish to add beads, tread the ribbon end through the beads and then knot the ends. Depending on the size of the bead opening, you may have to knot twice. If you don't want beads, knot the ends. You're done!
You are now ready to store and protect your tarot deck.
View the list for images of steps.
Do you have a question about the tarot or other spiritual matters? Would you like to see a topic explored further? Contact Me