Latinos are Michigan’s fastest growing ethnic group according to figures released by the state’s census. The double digit growth has increased the opportunity for diversity in the Great Lake State’s workplaces. But as this population is integrated into the offices and factories it is important to understand the Latino culture if we are to welcome them with open arms and extract the top talent they have to offer.
A decidedly different approach to gaining knowledge of the Latino community is to look at the legends and stories that helped form the culture. Latino Folklore And Culture: Stories Of Family, Traditions Of Pride it provides a unique and comprehensive insight into the Hispanic heritage. According to the author, Ellyn Sanna, "Folklore is culture shared by others in the community, and individual lives are built upon this shared understanding of how group members should act and what they should believe." Her book is extremely interesting and easily conveys to the reader the foundations of the rich Latino culture.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.