After watching the video Addicted to Plastic I was motivated to see how much plastic is in my home. It was an eye opener. I made a resolution to try to reduce my footprint by making better choices, but more on that later.
The article by mercola.com How Addiction to Plastic Poisons Our Planet really made me think. It brought out that 20 billion pounds of plastic makes its way into the ocean every year. What can be done about it? Each of us has to take responsibility to reduce our own use of plastic products.
I did find it hopeful that there are some who have invented ways to make plastics that are completely biodegradable and that will disappear when in contact with water. The other video that was included in the article was about how to make rope with plastic bags. That too was informative and I am going to try it with the plastic bags I have left.
Below is a list of some of my decisions that you may want to incorporate. Please feel free to leave a comment below with some of your suggestions.
- Never use plastic bags. Always take my recycle bags with me, even to the mall.
- Replace my old plastic storage containers with glass or better yet, use my glass jars that had spaghetti sauce or pickles for food storage. Get reusable stainless steel for the lunchbox. (I already use mason jars for the pantry).
- Try to buy household items that don't contain plastics.
- Support Local and or handmade vendors that recycle like oldmanspants.com
- Take my own container when going out to eat for any doggy bag leftovers.
- NO more bottled water.
- Buy in bulk when possible and bring my own container.
- Make rope out of the plastic that is left in the house.