If one objective of marketing is to send the right message to the right place, then it is beneficial to know the demographics of the different social networking channels. According to the Pew Research Center, Facebook still is the top social networks even though it is losing round among teens. Adults are not only using Facebook though; they can be found on other networks:
Facebook is most popular
“Facebook is the preferred network, used by 71 percent of online adults, or 57 percent of all American adults, according to Pew researchers. However other platforms like Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter are making gains, and a growing number of people are using multiple social networks.” See Facebook dominates in US rush to social networks.
Facebook is the most engaging along with Instagram, but Pew found that 93% who use Instagram also use Facebook, and 83% who use LinkedIn also use Facebook. Fifty percent of those who use Twitter use Instagram, and 53% of those who use Instagram also use Twitter.
What do we know about how adults are using other networks? According to Pew as of September 2013:
- Twitter – used by 18% of adults online a higher percentage of African Americans use Twitter.
- Instagram – used by 17% of adults online
- Pinterest – used by 21% of adults online
- LinkedIn – used by 22% of adults online
Other facts about the top networks are:
- A higher percentage of African Americans use Twitter
- Pinterest is used by one third of women online
- LinkedIn is more popular among professionals
- A greater percentage of Instagram users live in urban areas.
Get your updates so that you do not miss the next National Social Networking article!