In the world of smartphones, a new name of mobile OS was added on Oct 29, 2012 when Microsoft introduced the second generation of windows mobile phone operating system i.e. Windows Phone 8. Its hardware partners include HTC, Nokia, Huawei and Samsung.
Users with earlier version of Windows mobile cannot experience the amazing features of Windows Phone 8, until they purchase the supporting device. Architecture of current version is built in such a manner that it precludes the hardware configuration of previous version phones.
The CE-based architecture used in windows phone 7 has been replaced with windows NT-Kernel in windows phone 8 which has many components related to windows 8 operating system. This switch to Windows NT-Kernel made it to support bitlocker encryption, NTFS file system and secure boot too.
Even businesses seem quite interested with the release of this new mobile OS. Few of the amazing features which makes it to acquire a position in the business world are:
- High Performance : It can support multi-core CPUs of up to 64 cores, as well as 1280x720 and 1280x768 screen resolutions has increased its performance tremendously. It also supports multi-tasking by allowing location –based apps like navigation aids, to run in background even if a user is performing other actions with his device.
- Evolution of Office: The inclusion of Microsoft office is one of the biggest business perks for windows phone users. The non-ad supported version of office is now available i.e. the users can access word, excel, one note and PowerPoint anytime. Not only this, the combination of windows phone and Office 365 is a superior move.
- Exchange ActiveSync (EAS): Its management through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync is of key importance for IT professionals. It helps them to balance the BYOD policies while maintaining a minimum level of data security.
- Code Support : The exciting change that it has provided to the developers is the support to C and C++ languages to write apps for multiple platforms and contribute in windows phone development. It also supports popular gaming middleware such as audiokinetic Wwise , Firelight FMOD etc.
- NFC Sharing : Near Field Communication (NFC),a type of wireless communication allows the sharing of photos, videos ,websites, making payments and a lot more, quickly over a short distance. This allows the user of the phone to connect with other NFC-enabled device for information exchange.
Besides this,it is the first smartphone to have a built-in SharePoint experience to help the employees to stay connected and share the documents with each other. It also come with device management support, company hub, deployment of enterprise applications, more flexible storage, integrated internet calling, remote device management and much more . It can support around 50 languages and has also paved the way for app downloads in around 180 countries.
Windows phone 8 is unique and brimming with potential. It may well determine Microsoft’s fate in mobility.