1. Life
  2. Health & Fitness
  3. Holistic Health

What does breast milk taste like? Well, I'll tell you

See also

OCT 2013. A friend submitted this to me, but he also wanted, nee demanded, the world should know the truth about what breast milk tastes like. Here is his story as told to me:

If you want to know what human breast milk tastes like, read on. How do I know how breast milk tastes? It was an emergency. I swear.

The baby was not breastfeeding that morning for whatever reasons and my wife's liquid lifelines were filling up.

What was I supposed to do? Watch her suffer? Am I even allowed to breastfeed?

And now here on a Saturday morning, I have the opportunity to find out; totally reluctantly. Sort of.

What does breast milk taste like?

Ok, so it wasn't just an emergency. Sue me, I was curious too. And now I had my excuse. What is the taste of breast milk? What is this magical elixir that has everything a baby needs to survive? Is it gross or completely natural to drink this stuff?

Most of us have heard ad nauseam the benefits of breast-feeding. Breast milk is packed with vitamins, minerals, fats and other healthy goodies.

They also say the taste of breast milk depends largely on what mom is eating. Spicy food? Spicy breast milk. Oranges and plums? Sweet and fruity. Tomato-based?

My wife's lactating lifelines were turgid and swollen, they needed to be milked. Right Away.

We forgot the breast pump and the baby is now sleeping. My wife is in pain. I can’t stand to see my wife in pain. I must do something, anything to save her.

"They really hurt," says my wife said about her ballooning mams.

'But what, what can I do?' Then it hit me.

“I’ll do it,” I said with the gravitas of a man who saved Private Ryan.

“You’ll do what?” my wife replied.

“I’ll drink your breast milk.” There was nervous laughter from my wife.

I can’t betray any hint of actually wanting to do it or she’ll never agree. I remain committed to this sacrifice for her sake, for her sake. “Seriously, you’re in pain, what else are you going to do?”

She tilted her head upward, eyes skyward in that thinking way and after a moment’s pause she said matter-of-factly, “ok.”

Tougher to drink breast milk from the source than you might think

You'd think I'd be ecstatic. Actually, I was. But before that, I was like, 'ok, now what?'

So I leaned in and went for it. I had never been breast fed as a child, but I did have some experience. Or so I thought.

At first I got nothing. What was I doing wrong? I tried a different way. Nope, this didn't do anything either. If this is so easy that a baby can do it, why couldn't I?

“You have to put your mouth around the whole thing, not just the nipple," my wife instructed. "Suck and pull. Suck and pull," came her directions like a lactating drill sergeant. “But not too hard. Stop, that’s too hard.”

This was a lot tougher than I thought. But I eased up, went with the flow and soon I felt a warm sensation in my mouth. Slightly sweet and a little nutty, like warm cinnamon toast. This is good. Real good.

No wonder my son looks so content.

I thought to myself as I imbibed, 'they better not let this secret out or babies all over the world will go hungry.'

I continued to relieve my wife of her pain and for me it’s gentle and warm. I’m thoroughly comforted in my wife’s lactating bosom. I’m also slightly aroused too. It’s the first time since giving birth five months ago that I am allowed to touch my wife's buddies.

They went from recreational to functional overnight and I was elated to be back in their satisfying embrace.

My wife too seems happy to have the breast milk pressure off. She does not confirm or deny the arousing part.

The Taste of Breast Milk

There is a certain rich quality to the milk, it’s quite filling and the combination of all these things, the warm milk, the warm body, the nutty-sweet almost cinnamon taste coupled with the effort of sucking, makes me ready for a nappy.

I disengage from my wife. I am thoroughly satisfied. My son and I are soon both asleep in my wife's arms.

P.S. Ontario now has a breast milk donor bank. For reals.

You might also enjoy these:

Comments

• SabrinaC 5 years ago

Well, personally I think it was noble for you to step up. Of course I too have tried breast milk, but under different circumstances. More of a dare from a group of friends after one of them had a baby...and that was from the bottle :)

• roger ziegler 5 years ago

Yes, sometimes we have to make sacrifices...Actually it's funny that we treat such a natural and healthy thing as "gross."

• Brandi - Albuquerque Wellness Examiner 5 years ago

Honestly. I just can't imagine. It takes a brave man (or a perverted one). It's nice to know you had her best interest at heart.

• Rachael 4 years ago

Ok. I'm going to have to disagree with the previous posters here. I understand that your wife was in pain. Believe me, I do. My son is 18 months old and he is still nursing a few times a day. In the beginning, breastfeeding did NOT come easy for us. However, to relieve engorgement your wife could have expressed her milk by hand in a hot shower. Or you can get a cheap but effective breast pump for under $50. I commend you for "stepping up to the plate" and helping your wife in her time of need but I am a bit bothered by your admittance to arousal. Honestly, there were better ways to solve this problem. And I'm sure this was a lesson learned: Never, EVER leave the house without your breastpump. Especially if you will be gone for a long period of time, and especially not in the early months of a newborn's life when both mom and baby are still "learning the ropes."

• Reality 3 years ago

Breasts are beautiful, milk is delicious. 2 + 2 = gross??
    What is wrong with America that we think breast milk is gross? grow up.

If you drink "regular" milk you might as well be sucking on a cows teat. Not gross?!

• your a tard 3 years ago

Seriously. Lighten up some. "There were better ways to solve this problem." Of course she could have expressed it, but it wouldn't have been near as fun.

• Mamamandie 4 years ago

Wonderful, except... why did Jaslyn have a bottle? Was it a bottle of breastmilk? Why didn't Jaslyn just suckle the breast? Otherwise, lovely!

• Mamamandie 4 years ago

Ah, stupid me, missed the part (twice, since I re-read the article to make sure I hadn't missed anything...I am a tired first-time mom of a nursing three-week old) about baby not taking the breast...kudos for pumping and giving her breastmilk!

• Val 4 years ago

I'm pregnant with my first child and I am honestly shocked that so many people find breastfeeding issues to be 'gross' it is no wonder moms can't feed their babies in public without some kind of backlash. There is nothing wrong with this kind and caring husband helping out his wife, IMO. I appreciate everything my hubby does to make me feel better.

• MommyC 4 years ago

What a guy! I haven't laughed like this in awhile!

• timothy 4 years ago

why do so many people think its perverted or gross? what's the matter with people. its milk! you drink it from a dirty farm animal who is shot up with synthetics everyday. human milk on the other hand can be amazingly nutritious and pure. women waste so much milk that could be used to feed others in starving areas around the world. i hear it has great benefits for the woman and the receiver. whats perverted about that? being relaxed and healthy yeah that's gross! get over it!

• roger z 4 years ago

Hey Timothy,

Yeah, it is kind of weird that we have perverted such a natural thing. Like, oh gross human milk, but a cow's milk is so much more natural...Although, not every human's milk is natural and pure. Depends on what mom is eating.

• Kerri V 4 years ago

One of the best commentaries I've read lately. Made me warm and fuzzy- all over.?.

• Lane 4 years ago

I think most of the people who think its gross are woman that don't have children. Think about all the breast milk that gets wasted. Then think about all the starving people in the world. Feed the world...

ew

I have chronic sinus infections so severe that they warrant a disability status. Two independent medical doctors both suggested adult breast feeding as a means of reducing the problem. Their reason was the natural antibiotic levels of mother's milk (which is beneficial to the nursing mom as well as an infant and some chronically-ill adults). Now if I could only find a wet-nurse in this 'modern' day and age... since I am a single adult who doesn't wish to be misinterpreted as a pervert (which is unfortunately many people's misinformed reaction.)

• K. Rowe 3 years ago

Thanks, your article was perfect. I'm writing a novel and have a character wanting to try his breastfeeding wife's milk. So explaining your technique was excellent. It will enrich my writing greatly. And I don't see anything wrong with helping your wife out in her hour of need.

• Profile picture of Roger Ziegler
    Roger Ziegler 3 years ago

Great, let me know when your book is published. - Roger Z.

• Bridget 3 years ago

I find nothing wrong or perverted about this. I am going to let my husband try my breastmilk when I get pregnant.
    As for the arousal part, that's not too strange either. He *is* getting to suck her breasts after all. Guys like to do that. ;) America just has such a twisted view of sexuality and of a woman's body that completely natural things like breastmilk are rendered "gross". I can only hope someday that breastfeeding will lose it's "taboo".

I have come here after reading the story, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011
    The way the story is told here makes me feel it might not be disgusting at all for an adult taking breast milk.

• Profile picture of Roger Ziegler
    Roger Ziegler 3 years ago

It's so funny, because my first reaction was "ucchhh," but why? Is it better to drink milk from a cow? Conditioned response.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: What does breast milk taste like? Well, I'll tell you. - New York wellness | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/wellness-in-new-york/what-does-breast-milk-taste...

• Profile picture of Roger Ziegler
    Roger Ziegler 3 years ago

• Sunny 3 years ago

LOL.. that's a noble thing to do and not a huge deal. I've helped out my mom before - she breastfed me until I was 3, then I drank her excess breastmilk on a couple occasions when I was 5 & my little brother wasn't sucking it all. A few years later, she had similar issues with my 2 step-siblings, so she used to pump her milk and whoever wanted at home could drink it - I think my stepdad at the time wasn't big on the idea of helping. I don't know why though - breastmilk tastes great, it's sweet like canteloupe juice. I think her new husband is helping her now with drinking the excess milk from our baby step-brother, because she doesn't ask us to help these days. Oh well, good for him, I guess!

• Profile picture of Nadda
    Nadda 2 years ago

Hi, you said it was filling. When you say filling, do you mean you could have swapped out a meal for it and gotten full? Were you still hungry afterward?

Why didn't he suck and suck and suck till they were empty

• Dionysus 1 year ago

I honestly don't understand the issue with this. I mean Come on people, its milk! Its healthy and a great bonding ritual. People don't complain about Cow Milk, or Goat milk. Whats wrong with Human Milk? Cause guess what, its better for you!

• Nik 1 year ago

if you're looking to buy breastmilk for its health benifits you can check onlythebreast.com women from around the world sell their milk at a reasonable rate.

• Profile picture of LW4
    LW4 1 year ago

A huge thumbs up to you and your wife too. I just found this link on a site dedicated to the wonderful bond of adult nursing. Those who have tried it understand the sentiments you so carefully wrote about here. The emotional bond of two lovers connected and sharing in this way is absolutely amazing, is neither infantile nor maternal, and is, yes!, arousing too. What could be better than ths incredibly intimate way of sharing that is primarily about love, and is only tangentially sexual.

It's good to see quite a few comments from readers who agree with the sentiment that it's not at all gross. It certainly isn't.

Thank you for a great article.

• zindan 1 year ago

I Like to drink my wife's breast milk...........

• Anonymous 1 year ago

Ummm....

• Anonymous 1 year ago

I like tits

• Anonymous 1 year ago

Good for you! This taboo is ridiculous.

• Seriously 1 year ago

It was all in good intentions! This guy's wife was in pain, and he was brave enough to help her out. Many husbands nowadays wouldn't be so caring of their wives.

• Taimoor 1 year ago

Awesome !!!

• Shamie 1 year ago

This happened to me! First night away from baby for a romantic evening and it turned into exactly as you explained. It actually is very painful to do it manually. It was a lot more comfortable for me and faster to have dad's help! ;)

• Thor 12 months ago

Havent laughed like this in a while .. hahahahahahha :P

• Joan 11 months ago

I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's her husband. She said ok. And I'm sure there will be plenty for the baby. It is a natural thing.

• Profile picture of Roger Ziegler
    Roger Ziegler 11 months ago

;)

• Larry 10 months ago

Thank you for understanding so completely.

• Shelly 9 months ago

Coming from the woman side of this... I LOVE having my husband suck on my breasts and yes it's extremely arousing. It adds a wonderful bond/connection/intimacy between us ... I cannot even begin to describe... Koddos to you and your wife... Enjoy

• patorikkudozzu 9 months ago

My kneejerk reaction is that it seems weird. But isn't it perfectly right and natural for an infant to drink mother's milk? It's a wonderful act of love and bonding between child and mother. Perhaps the same could be said of wife and husband? Also, yeah, that sounds really hot, I wish I could do that too.

• Graeme Pryce 8 months ago

No - it is weird! I'm not gonna judge or condemn you for it though. 2 consenting adults and all that. Plus - it would seem weird to me - I'm gay! lol Certainly wouldn't judge a guy for wanting to try even though personally I did almost hurl halfway through the story. BUT - having said that, I'm here. So Yeah - I did google 'what does breast milk taste like?' LOL Curiosity may well have killed many cats but it has made a lot of money for Google.

• Anonymous 8 months ago

things in life are not so funny as you are thinking everything to be. Breast milk is only supposed to be for the mothers baby. Are you her son / daughter?? And once having had her breast milk she is your mother now. So did you treat her like your mother thereafter? Shame on you

• Eileen+ 8 months ago

I am 22 years old pregnant with my second child and I think it's so dumb when people freak out about their boyfriend or husband drinking their breast milk. I love when my boyfriend does it. It feels good for me and gets me wet and it gets him hard. It's all just fun. It's better to have a relationship where we are both so comfortable with eachother. Immature when people can't just let go and try new things. I would much rather be with a man that likes breast milk then one who doesn't. About a year after my first pregnancy I had no milk in my breast and that made me cry! I loved that I am young and sexy and have breasts full of milk. It's a showing of womanhood who

• Anon 6 months ago

With this faulty logic, we might as well stop drinking cows' milk, because cow's milk is meant for their babies only. Since humans drink it, I guess that makes us children of cows as well.

• Abir 5 months ago

I want suck boobs,if eny one wants 2 suck her boobs contack with me my phon no-+8801677461061

• Adam 5 months ago

Sorry but drinking ur wife's milk, doesn't that make you your son's brother?

• The Educator 4 months ago

No.. what makes you the son is if you took half her DNA from her as well as the father(himself) and was a product of her womb. He is not just because he drank her milk! jeez dude, might as well say you are a cow's son/daughter then. Stupid Logic.

• joe 3 months ago

You are an idiot!

• Lafarge 3 months ago

I like this thread "we are all cows children" lol cuz we all drink her milk, OMG drinking cows milk can change our DNA to a cows? I cant stop laughing. I'm now a cow, mooooooo

Related Videos:

• Enterovirus outbreak
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IgaBQQYoAvg?VQ=HD720&amp;allowfullscreen=true&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>
  • Chikungunya cases in the United States
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rh9w6uYk4aE?rel=0?rel=0&amp;VQ=HD720&amp;allowfullscreen=true&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>
  • Florida researchers report medical marijuana may improve Alzheimer's
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lFYLtFglXHg?VQ=HD720&amp;allowfullscreen=true&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>