On June 24, Carlos Enrique Barron, 43, a former high school special education teacher from North Las Vegas, appeared in a Clark County, Nev. courtroom where he was sentenced to 90 days in county lockup plus five years’ probation after being found guilty of firing a gun at the crew of reality-TV’s "Repo Games” back in April 2011. The shooting occurred in Barron’s North Las Vegas neighborhood when a van associated with the TV show was blocking his driveway.
Earlier this year, Barron was found guilty of weapons charges that included felony assault with a deadly weapon, carrying a concealed weapon, burglary and misdemeanor discharging a firearm, according to ABC News. The jury in the case against him acquitted him on two counts of attempted murder and one felony discharging a firearm into a vehicle charge.
Barron could have been looking at up to 22 years behind bars in a state prison. All things considered, he got off easy with his 90 day sentence. Still, Barron pleaded in court for leniency, saying that he didn’t want to go jail at all. As he told the judge, “no one was wounded.”
Barron testified in court that he was acting in self-defense “when he confronted two men in a van blocking his driveway during filming down the street from his house on Vigilante Court,” according to The Huffington Post. The prosecutor in the case, Alexander Chen, said:
"He had an opportunity to tell his side of a story."
"They didn't believe him because it didn't add up. When you have a gun and you're shooting it randomly at people, there is a potential for people to get hurt."
Investigators found that there’s a Glock 9mm handgun registered to Barron that’s never been recovered. While investigating the scene of the shooting, police “found two bullet casings near Barron’s garage door and one in the middle of the street, which prosecutors said suggested that Barron followed the fleeing film crew and fired a needless shot.”
The judge overseeing the case was vehement that Barron needed some time in prison, saying "You can't do this and not have some kind of penalty attached." The shooter’s jail sentence hasn't commenced yet though. Barron will remain free until a status hearing scheduled to take place in July.