Think twice before you eat some rice. There's a major recall in effect due to Uncle Ben's rice giving people rashes and other allergic reactions.
The recall announced Monday, comes after at least three Houston schools were affected by what is considered to be contaminated rice, which poses a risk to public health. In some cases, students developed hot flushes while others broke out in serious rashes similar to those bought on by an allergic reaction.
The affected rice is sold in five pound and 25 pound bags via wholesale distributors only. The company has stressed that the current rice recall does not involve any Uncle Ben’s brand products which are sold in supermarkets.
Mars Foodservices said in a statement that the Houston schools which were affected by the contaminated rice came from the Uncle Ben’s Mexican Flavor Infused Rice range.
They continued to warn consumers that the product should not be prepared or consumed and should be returned to the place of purchase:
The Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice recall includes the following flavors and package sizes:
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Roasted Chicken Flavor (5- and 25-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Garlic and Butter Flavor (5-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Mexican Flavor (5- and 25-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Pilaf (5-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Saffron Flavor (5-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Cheese Flavor (5-pound bags)
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Spanish Flavor (25-pound bags)
For more from the FDA, click here.