Your Beatles calendar for the week:
- Hollywood: Tribute starting at 2 p.m. Dec. 8 at his Hollywood Walk of Fame Star located in front of the Capitol Records Tower Building at 1750 North Vine Street in Hollywood. Chris Carter, radio host of “Breakfast With the Beatles” will join with longtime peace activist Jerry Rubin and Lennon star polisher Dennis Garling to lead a “Give Peace a Chance” group candle lighting ceremony at the star of the late, legendary singer, songwriter, peace activist and Beatles member. Speakers will also include 'Instant Karma' journalist Harry Bluebond and longtime Lennon fans Pat Tyson and Nancy Hutchins. Information at the Breakfast With the Beatles website.
- Liverpool: A peace vigil to honor John Lennon is being held in Liverpool sponsored by the Beatles Story. The event will include onstage tributes, poems and songs dedicated to Lennon. . A candlelight march will be held in the evening.
- Minneapolis: The 34th annual John Lennon Tribute and “Minnesota Beatles Project Vol. 5” release party will take place at 6 p.m. at First Avenue in Minneapolis. Performers: Curtiss A, the Suburbs, the Cactus Blossoms, Sonny Knight and the Lakers. Event website.
- New York: Trivworks presents “A Night of Beatles Trivia in Honor of John Lennon” with Amy Plitt, Time Out New York senior editor, 8 p.m. Dec. 8, the Bell House, Brooklyn. Free. (21 and over). Event website.
- New York: Larry Russell's Beatlestock Holiday Show, 4 p.m. ET, The Bitter End, New York.
- Online: John Lennon Tribute on the Magical Mystery Tour -The Beatle Years & Beyond, 3 p.m. CST.
- Online: The John Lennon Hour - The Beatles in Hamburg + Kathy McCabe, 8 to 9 p.m. ET, Beatles-a-Rama.
Ringo “Peace & Love” exhibit: Continues at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles through March.
“Good Ol' Freda” is now playing in selected theaters and on the following video on demand services:iTunes, Amazon, DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T Uverse, Google Play, VUDU, Cablevision, Charter, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Playstation 3 Store, Sudden Link, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FIOS and Xbox 360/Zune. Information: http://www.goodolfreda.com. (It is now out on DVD and Blu-ray.)
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website: http://www.fab4nyctours.wordpress.com/.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax's A Magical History Tour. Website: http://www.amagicalhistorytour.com.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website: http://www.beatleguide.com.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter: http://www.beatlesinlondon.com.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://bit.ly/HRmbk4
- 1964: The Tribute: Dec. 12: Kent, WA. Dec. 14: Jackson Hole, WY. Info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- The Fab Four: Dec. 12-13: Winnipeg, Canada. Dec. 16: Grand Rapid Charter, MI. Dec. 20-21: Chicago. Dec. 31: Tucson, Ariz. Jan. 1. Tampa, FL. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles: Jan. 13: Clearwater FL. Jan. 14: Gainesville, FL. Jan. 15: Melbourne, FL. Jan. 17: New Orleans. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- Laurence Juber: Dec. 8: Alta Dena, CA. Feb. 5-9: Hard Rock Hotel, Cancun, Mexico. More info: http://www.laurencejuber.com.
- The Fab Faux: Dec. 27-30: New York City. Feb. 15: Albany, N.Y. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- Beatles Revival Band, 8 p.m. Dec. 8, Schaaf City Theater, the Netherlands. Website.
- “Just Imagine!”: John Lennon tribute with Greg Piper, through Dec. 29, Hayworth Theatre, Los Angeles.
- Bootleg Beatles: Dec. 4 through 21: UK dates. Jan. 16-17: The Philippines. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Creme Tangerine: Dec. 20: Issaquah, WA. Jan. 25: Sixth Annual Seattle Beatles Rooftop Day. http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times/ .
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King's, New York City.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- British Invasion 2014, Feb. 5-10, 2014, Hard Rock Rivera Maya Hotel, Cancun, Mexico.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Feb. 7-9, 2014, Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York City. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- Magical History Tour to Liverpool and London Aug. 17-24, 2014. Information: http://www.liverpooltours.com/.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Aug. 15-17, 2014, Chicago. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Oct. 10-12, 2014, Airport Marriott, Los Angeles. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
Dec. 8, 1980: John Lennon murdered in New York.
50 years ago this week on the British charts:
- Singles: The Beatles' “She Loves You” stays at #1 on the Official British Charts. “I'll Keep Your Satisfied” by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas down 2 to #6. Dave Clark Five's “Glad All Over” jumps 11 places to #8, a jump of 30 slots in two weeks. “I Want to Hold Your Hand” debuts at #10. “All I Want For Christmas Is a Beatle” by Dora Bryan debuts at #37.
- Albums: “With the Beatles” at #1, “Please Please Me” #2, switching places from previous week.
American chart spotlight:
Week ending Dec. 12, 1964: Singles: Lorne Greene's “Ringo” #3, down two spots. “She's a Woman” debuts at #46. Albums: “A Hard Day's Night” #8. “Something New” #10. “Meet the Beatles” #62. “Beatles Second Album” #71. “The Beatles Story” debuts at #97. “Introducing the Beatles” #112.
Last week's best Beatles stories:
- Fox News host says Lennon-McCartney worked together like Reagan-O'Neill
- Exclusive: New book by 'Liddypool' author fills in gaps in the Beatles story
- Beatle news briefs: McCartney on Mandela: 'greatest man I never met'
- Review: Paul McCartney's 'Something NEW' reveals some, but not too much
- Paul McCartney nominated four times in 56th Annual Grammy Awards
- Exclusive: Beach Boys, more to top bill at 2014 Abbey Road on the River
- Beatle news briefs: 'Beatles in America' magazine; BBC streams McCartney
- Beatles Hollywood Bowl album production tapes to be featured in collection sale
- Beatle news briefs: Church holding Beatles Mass; signed dollar bill back on eBay
- Director announced for Brian Epstein Beatles bio
- Ringo Starr to autograph jackets for charity auction
- McCartney recording sessions book, just published, details 44 years of music
- Beatles signed dollar bill goes for big bucks in wild auction
- Beatle news briefs: Dollar auction zooms; Lennon remembrance, Beatles exhibit
- Beatles signed dollar bill eBay auction may not hit reserve price with day to go
- Review: 'Good Ol' Freda' DVD adds new stories, commentary to wonderful film
- George Harrison, Santana, Stones among latest inductees into Grammy Hall of Fame
- Beatles White Album signed by the Fab Four sells for over $200,000
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, myself and Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” discuss the latest Beatles news topics. The latest show on Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com, is an interview with Allan Kozinn, author of the ebook "Got That Something! How the Beatles' 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' Changed Everything." “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturday and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can write to us at email@example.com.
- “Every Little Thing”: An hour of the greatest highlights of 2013 plus a tribute to Nelson Mandela.. Hosted by Ken Michaels. The show airs 8-10 (est) Wednesdays on 88.7 WNHU, West Haven, CT and can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. More info at www.kenmichaelsradio.com.
- .“Fab 4 Free 4 All”: Latest show: “Got That Something!” With Allan Kozinn”: Analysis and review. Available on iTunes and at www.Fab4Free4all.com.
- “Beatle Brunch”: Dec. 8: "Beatles for Sale. Website: http://www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: Weekly hour of John Lennon music and history hosted by Jude Southerland Kessler. 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- "Magical Mystery Tour": Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Saturdays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcc.edu%2Fradio%2FPages...
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Steve Marinucci (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “Dennis Mitchell's Breakfast With the Beatles”: Dec. 1: John's last concert appearance, remembering George Harrison. Show website.
- “Chris Carter's 'British Invasion': Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday.
- “Chris Carter's Breakfast With the Beatles”: On KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. PT Sunday. Dec. 8: Remembering John Lennon. Website.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: Dec. 13 and 20: Annual Christmas show. The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “I've Got a Beatles Podcast”: “50 Years of 'With the Beatles.'” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- “Breakfast With the Beatles": 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- Now and Then": An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station's frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “On the Beat”: Wonderful show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the '60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- "Sounds of the Sixties": Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the '60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- "Beatlesongs": Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. - 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: The show airs from 7 to 9 a.m. ET Sundays on WMGK-FM 102.9 and 7-9 a.m. PT on KSLX-FM 100.7 in Phoenix.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=51729
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- "Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen": More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://www.quaywestonline.co.uk/.
Beatles radio stations:
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
Have a Beatles event you'd like added here? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with The Week Ahead in the subject.
We love to write about the Beatles and have been doing it since our time at a major metropolitan newspaper. Subscribe and get addicted to our exclusive original stories and interviews about the Beatles in all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. You can subscribe through the button on this page. And spread the word about us.
Copyright Steve Marinucci. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don't miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on iTunes and Podbean.com.