This year, the Super Bowl XLVII will be held at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana (more venue info: Mercedes-Benz Superdome) on Sunday, February 3rd where NFC champion San Francisco 49ers will play the AFC Baltimore Ravens. Super Bowl Sunday is known as the biggest day of the year for TV ads and known as an American cultural phenomenon.
Besides the excitement of the football game and the commercial TV ad spots, CBS 2013 Super Bowl halftime show is the most watched musical event of the year. This year features 16-time Grammy Award winner and Pepsi spokesperson, Beyonce, who will perform during the Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII halftime show. Will Beyonce “lip sync” or not?
According to a recent The New York Times article, "Super Bowl Commercial Time Is A Sellout," CBS has sold all available commercial time for Super Bowl 2013 with record-breaking prices. Les Moonves, CEO of CBS, has also said that he anticipates raking in more than $225 million in advertising revenue.
So how much do these ads really cost? Ad Age states that the costs have increased slightly from the "casual $3.5 million to an average of $3.7 to $3.8 million." Some spots cost as high as $4 million. This calculates to an average rate of $126,667 per second using the $3.8 million per 30-second spot ad.
A total of six automakers are expected to advertise eight car brands during the game, while six additional companies will advertise eight beverages.
Super Bowl first-time-advertisers include The Lincoln Motor Company (Ford), Soda Stream, The Milk Processor Education Program (i.e., famous for the “Got Milk” print ads), and a few other notables.
Since 1989, the USA Today Super Bowl Ad Meter has been bringing viewers together to rate the commercials on hand-held meters. There’s still time for those interested in participating go to http://www.admeter.usatoday.com.
According to Nielsen, last year, 111 million viewers tuned in to watch the Super Bowl 2012 game, and this year more viewership is expected.
The usual big players, Pepsi and Budweiser (Anheuser Bush) as well as other popular brands Taco Bell, Best Buy (starring Amy Poehler), Century 21 and GoDaddy.com are returning to the game.
Super Bowl 2013 Ads that have interactive user experience include Toyota, Pizza Hut, Lincoln, Coke, Audi, Pepsi and Doritos Frito Lay.
Last year NBC reached a record $250 million in total Super Bowl 2012 advertising as reported by The Fiscal Times.
The Wall Street Journal reported last May that General Motors, who has spent $135.2 million from 2002 – 2011, and only 4.7 million for Super Bowl 2012 will not advertise at all in 2013.
A few advertisers already with ad-teaser campaigns include Coca-Cola who gave up the signature pristine, Polar Bears for a "Mirage" on the desert with Badlanders, Cowboys and Showgirls all competing for a giant bottle of Coke and there's still time to cast your vote; Doritos® Teddybear Prison themed ad “Crash The Super Bowl” is also out on YouTube and this year a public vote will choose one Doritos ad to air during the Super Bowl; Mercedes Benz released "Slow Motion Car Wash" teaser ad that stars swimsuit model Kate Upton in a tank top and jeans.
There is a January 2012 release on YouTube of "The 25 Best Super Bowl Commercials of All Time,” in descending order (25 down to 1 last). Most on the list are repeat advertisers including PepsiCo, Etrade “Babies”, Doritos, FedEx “Caveman," Bud Light, Toyota, etc.
In economic times, regardless of consumers pocket sizes, do you think famous celebrity, entertaining and comedy ads will be enough to entice shoppers to buy a particular brand and/or visit a special retail store?
- Super Bowl Commercial Time Is a Sellout, The New York Times
- AdAge Advertisers in Super Bowl 2013, AdAge
- UPDATED: Everything We Know About The Super Bowl ad Lineup So Far, Business Insider
- GM to Forgo Pricey Super Bowl Ads, Wall Street Journal
- Be a partof the USA TODAYAd Meter panel!, crowdsourcing rules, USA TODAY
- Advertisers Give Sneak Peek of Super Bowl Commercials Online, CBS San Francisco
- Should Super Bowl Ads Be Released Early? Sports Business Daily
- Some SUPERBOWL Ad Resources 2012, AllThingsDigitalMarketing Blog
- Kate Upton Mercedes Benz Super Bowl 2013 ad video, ABC
- Best Buy Banking on Amy Poehler To Break Its Super Bowl Ad Losing Streak, The Consumerist
- The Big, Big Business of Super Bowl XLVI, The Fiscal Times
- Super Bowl ads: Coca-Cola says goodbye to bears, hello to 'Mirage', Newsday
- Coca Chase 2013 Ad on Youtube
- Doritos® Teddybear Prison themed ad “Crash The Super Bowl” YouTube; This year a public vote will choose one Doritos ad to air during the Super Bowl
- How much did the 2013 finalists spend on their Crash the Super Bowl entries?, Video Contest News
- Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials 2013, CBS Press Express,
- Kate Upton stuns in a 'leaked' Super Bowl commercial, WTSP.com
- The Best Super Bowl AdMeters Ever, USA Today Ad Meter
- Super Bowl XLVII New Orleans Host Committee
Please share this with your social media and professional network. Thanks.
To request a pdf of the Excel spreadsheet of the Super Bowl 2013 estimated advertiser $ ad spend, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with "CBS Super Bowl 2013 Spreadsheet" in subject line.