An Alabama couple driving north along I-65 in Calera reported watching "a silver disc 20 feet off of the ground and about 50 feet" away, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witnesses first noticed "two bright, white flood lights and a blinking red light in the middle."
"The lights were brighter than any I have ever seen," the reporting witness stated. "We thought it was a tower. I was supposed to turn left after getting off at the Shelby Co. Airport exit, but just had to go right and check it out."
The couple disagreed over whether the lights were on a tower or not.
"We saw from very close up, a silver disc with white lights on either side and a red flashing light on the middle front. I felt as if it was watching us because it was tilted towards us. She said 'lookout!' as I was going into the other lane and a car was coming."
A two-story building then blocked their view momentarily from the object.
"I whipped the car around and went right back. Less than 60 seconds had passed. It was Gone!"
The couple reports that four other witnesses saw the object, but did not follow it.
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 4, 2013. The events occurred about 5 p.m. on December 18, 2012. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Calera is a city in Chilton and Shelby counties, AL, population 3,158.
Recently covered disc UFO cases include:
- Photo: California witness reports unusual object in single frame
- Illinois disc UFO described as 'blue, laser-like ring'
- Disc UFO reported making controlled moves over Vancouver
- Multiple Orlando witnesses describe low flying unidentified object
- Disc UFO described as 'loitering' in sky over Florida highway
- North Carolina teens discover UFOs appear on Thursday nights
- Montana witness describes 'circular object' that made no sound
- Orange light UFO ejects smaller gray sphere over Texas town
- Disc UFO reported under 500 feet over West Hollywood
- Texas witness photographs disc-shaped object in storm clouds
- Disc UFO reported over Florida's Polk County in populated area
- Ohio witness hopes for more witnesses to daylight UFO sighting
- Multiple witnesses file UFO reports from northeastern Texas
- Oval UFO surprises Illinois witness at 50 feet off ground
- Illinois siblings share second UFO sighting of disc-shaped object
- Witness says 'silver object' emerged from Texas cloud formation
- Pennsylvania witnesses describe UFO with 'round, white portholes'
- 'Saucer-like' UFO reported over Rhode Island with horizontal lights
- '30-foot disc' UFO follows Illinois couple in Will County
- North Carolina family reports objects hovering over Lake Wylie
- Disc UFO videotaped over Berks County Pennsylvania
- Disc UFO photographed low over Palmdale, California
- Fifth cigar UFO case: Mississippi woman reports object 'right above trees'
- Video: Disc UFO caught on camera over Illinois
- Hawaiian disc UFO encased inside orange orb
Recent Alabama UFO cases include:
- Silent cylinder object reported hovering over Alabama town
- Alabama 'sub-car sized' sphere hovered and moved away
Alabama is a current UFO ALERT 5 rating, with a low number of UFO sightings nationally. Alabama had 5 reports in December 2012 - the 27th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If Alabama MUFON State Director Richard Hoffman investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
December 18, 2012, 5 p.m., Calera, Shelby County, AL - My wife & I saw a Silver disc 20' off the ground, about 50' from us. Could have hit it with a rock! Case 45011.
While driving North on I-65, we saw something with 2 bright, white flood lights & a blinking red light in the middle. The lights were brighter than any, I have ever seen. We thought it was a tower. I was supposed to turn left after getting off at the Shelby Co. Airport exit....but just had to go right and check it out. As we got closer(about1 1/2mi. N. of the Airport) I kept saying "I dont see any legs on that tower" My wife was busy facebooking it on her phone & only looked up for seconds at a time, to say "Its a tower" The closer we got the more I insisted, there were no legs on this "tower". We got right next to the thing, & I told her "Look at it!" She finally, looked up & didnt say a word! We saw from very close up...a silver disc, with white lights on either side & a red flashing light on the middle front. I felt as if it was watching us because it was tilted towards us.She said "lookout!" as I was going into the other lane and a car was coming. We then had a 2 story building, between us & it. I whipped it around, & went right back(less than 60 sec. had passed) It was Gone! I said..."Whered the tower go baby!" lol We felt excited and nervous for several hours after the sighting. I had left my video camera in our other vehicle, so no photos. I know of 4 other people that say they saw it too, but none checked it out as we did.