While speaking on the floor of the House of Representatives Wednesday, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, the Texas Democrat once dubbed the "Congressional boss from Hell," claimed the Constitution is 400 years old.
“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.
Lee was only off by 173 years, since the Constitution was adopted in September 1787, not 1614.
A post at the Washington Free Beacon said that going by Jackson Lee's version of history, the document would have been signed seven years after Jamestown became America’s first permanent English settlement.
Twitchy said it's not surprising to hear such a statement from Jackson Lee, who "can be consistently counted on to say ridiculous things."
Twitter users wasted no time ridiculing the Texas Democrat.
"I wasn't surprised that Sheila Jackson Lee thinks the constitution is over 400 yrs old. I was surprised she knew we had a constitution," one person said.
"Is it racist to point out that Sheila Jackson-Lee is not qualified to hold elected office?" another person asked.
"Now imagine if Sarah Palin had said the Constitution is 400 years old," added Twitter user "Matthew."
Another person asked who was more dumb -- Jackson Lee or the people who keep re-electing her to office.
"Having once lived in her district, I can confidently say 'yes,'" one person said in response.
One person said the Constitution only "looks" 400 years old "from all the recent trampling" it has received.
Jackson Lee, who was once recommended by the Congressional Black Caucus to head up the Department of Homeland Security, recently said the "number one agenda" of the newly-formed Congressional Full Employment Caucus would be to draft executive orders for President Obama to sign.
She also said Americans should simply turn in their guns and declared that insurance cancellations brought about by Obamacare are lies.
Video of her comments can be seen above.
- Sheila Jackson Lee: We'll give Obama 'a number of executive orders' to sign
- Sheila Jackson Lee calls for unemployment benefits to 'working men and women'
- Sheila Jackson Lee: Insurance cancellation notices are lies
- Black Caucus recommends Sheila Jackson Lee for Homeland Security Secretary
- Sheila Jackson Lee, Congressional boss from Hell
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to America: Turn in your guns
- Sheila Jackson Lee: Constitution implies right to health care, education
- Sheila Jackson Lee demands hearing on 'right wing extremists'
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee: 'Christian militants' might 'bring down the country'