Seattle Sports seems to always have a dynamic duo. Dennis Johnson/ Gus Williams, Ken Griffey Jr /Rand Johnson, Dave Krieg/ Steve Largent and who can forget Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp.
Say hello to Seattle sports latest dynamic duo of Clint Dempsey and Obefami Martins.
The two Seattle Sounder FC players are leading MLS in goals and assists. Dempsey leads the Golden Boot award with eight goals and Martins is tied for first in the league with four assists.
The two players ability to find the back of the opponents net on are regular basis has helped put Seattle Sounders FC (5-2-1,16 points) on top of MLS .
“They are both quality players who have a lot of respect for each other and enjoying playing with each other. They are both looking for each other on passes and runs, ”Sounders Coach Sigi Schmid said of his prolific offensive players.
Dempsey and Martins have scored more goals (11) than all but five MLS teams.
Seattle Sounders FC will look to make it four games without a defeat when it takes on the Philadelphia Union (1-3-5, 8 points) 7pm. PT on the Xbox Pitch Saturday at Century Link Field.
While the Philadelphia Union have gone winless in there last seven matches (0-3-4) and sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, they have capable players in U.S National Team player Maurice Edu, Brazilian midfielder Leo Fernandez and former Seattle Sounders FC forward Sebastien Le Toux.
“We have to make sure we are sharp, we get the crowd behind us and get them thinking today is not the day. They will be hungry so we will need to come out and be ready to play right from the start,” Clint Demspey said of Saturday match against the Philadelphia Union.
- The Philadelphia contest will mark the first of six matches in May, including three games in an eight day stretch to begin the month.
- Seattle's plus-6 goal differential, 11 road goals and 19 assists are top in MLS.
- Seattle and Philadelphia are level on the all-time series at 2-2-2, with Seattle holding the edge at home with two wins and one loss.
- Seattle has scored in five of the six meetings, holding a 4-1 advantage in the opening 45 minutes.
- Philadelphia has played the most games (9) in MLS this season, taking the second-most shots (114) while earning the most corner kicks (50).
- The defense ranks ninth with a 1.22 goals against average, posting two shutouts with 11 goals allowed.