Whether honoring a famous person, special event, important invention, worthy cause or delicious food or beverage, holidays celebrate all sorts of traditional and not-so-traditional occasions. But to millions of children around the globe, one of the biggest, most important days of the entire year is days away! After weeks and months of waiting - the big day is almost here!
Santa Claus Day
Dec. 24 is Santa Claus Day, an annual event that celebrates one of the most beloved men in the entire world! Santa, also referred to St. Nicholas, Kris Kringle and/or Father Christmas, is jolly man who wears a red suit, black boots and belt and has a ginormous white beard. And according to unidentified elf sources, the origins of this holiday got its start somewhere in the North Pole.
Throughout the year, Santa and his merry elves work hard making all sorts of gifts for all the boys and girls who made the "nice list." And just like that - before you can say "Ho Ho Ho" - all those games, dolls, toys, electronics and gifts are carefully loaded onto Santa's sleigh and safely secured. Finally, on Christmas Eve, Santa and his reindeer along with the packed sleigh, make the long trek across the globe delivering presents to children near and far. And with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at the helm, even inclement weather can't stop this annual journey.
Best Santa Movies of All Time
In honor of Santa Claus Day, why not gather up the family, curl up on the sofa, grab your favorite snacks (milk and cookies, of course!) and watch one or two of the movies listed below that star one of the world's most beloved men?
- Miracle on 34th Street - This classic 1947 film stars Maureen O'Hara and a young Natalie Wood.
- A Christmas Story - Sure hope Ralphie doesn't shoot his eye out in this popular 1983 film.
- The Polar Express - This charming 2004 movie stars Tom Hanks.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - This 1964 made-for-TV animated movie is a must-see!
- The Santa Clause - This 1994 film stars funny man, Tim Allen and Judge Reinhold.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas - This 2000 film, directed by Ron Howard, stars Jim Carrey and is based on the famous Dr. Seuss book.
- Elf - The all-star cast includes Will Farrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart, Ed Asner, Mary Steenburgen and Zooey Deschanel.
- All I Want for Christmas - The late, great Leslie Nielsen stars as Santa in this 1991 comedy.
- Arthur Christmas - Eva Longoria, Hugh Laurie and James McAvoy lend their voices to this Christmas flick.
- Fred Claus - Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti, Kathy Bates and Rachel Weisz star in this 2007 film.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas - This Tim Burton film may not be suitable for younger children.
OK boys and girls, gather 'round! Your letter is done, your pajamas are on - it's almost time for a visit from ole' Kris Kringle! Be sure to remind mom and dad to leave out a plate of homemade cookies because Santa Claus is coming to town! And speaking of Santa - check out these Letters from Santa and be sure to follow the big guy's journey with Free Santa Trackers.
- 20 Free Gingerbread House Patterns
- Holiday whiskey balls & rum balls recipes perfect for Christmas
- 25 Best Homemade Gingerbread Cookie Recipes
- Christmas Sayings: 33 Sentimental and Humorous Holiday Quotes and Toasts
- 6 Festive Christmas Punch Recipes: Christmas Cocktails to Get You in the Holiday 'Spirit'
- Best pecan pie recipes for Christmas
- Divine Christmas Eggnog Recipes
- 25 Gourmet Fruitcake Recipes
- 50 Christmas Cookie Recipes: Best Homemade Cookies for the Holidays
- 15 Christmas Cupcake Recipes for the Holidays
- Free Christmas Gift Tags
- Holiday Hazards & Dangers for Pets
- 15 Homemade Holiday Pet Treats
- Christmas Fudge
- New Year’s Eve toasts, quotes and sayings to ring in the New Year
- 20 New Year’s Eve Cocktails: Ring in the New Year with refreshing holiday cheer