Mike Lunn has answered a few questions on Jan. 23 through the comments section of the official Playstation Blog in regards to the recently-announced high-definition port of “Resident Evil: Revelations.” Among the topics that the Product Manager of Capcom responded to included the lack of a Playstation Vita version of the port, how the graphics are remastered, possibility of a Versus mode, the relatively high $49.99 price tag in addition to questions regarding the support for 3D, controller layout, Playstation Move and platinum trophy. You can check out the first screens from the high-definition port of “Resident Evil: Revelations” in the slideshow at the top of this article and Mike Lunn’s responses below (courtesy of the comments section of the official Playstation Blog):
Why the high-definition port of “Resident Evil: Revelations” is priced at $49.99:
- Fantastic survival horror campaign, upgraded RAID mode, new costumes, completely redone HD visuals, new characters to play as, new skills, new customization parts, new enemies, more challenging difficulty modes, reduced/optimized loading, enemy/item positioning is now random to mix things up a bit, RE.net integration and unlockables, etc. This is definitely not a simple port as some may imagine :)
Inclusion of a platinum trophy:
- Absolutely yes!
How the graphics are improved from the Nintendo 3DS version:
- Revs is not just a ‘filter’ slapped on the previous version. Our team literally went in and re-textured (sometimes recreated in whole) the models used for this version so rest assured it will look fantastic
- We’ll be diving into this subject fairly soon, stay tuned to the blog for more updates!
Playstation Move support:
- Haven’t revealed the full details yet. Stay tuned! Same bat-time, same bat-channel
Possibility of a Versus mode:
- No plans for a ‘Versus’ mode as of yet, but it does come with an upgraded version of RAID mode which I can’t wait to try out. RAID may be a slightly different beast than ‘Versus’, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised on how much fun you’ll have with it.
- That being said the PS3 version will not support 3D unfortunately. We wanted all the new versions to be consistent with each other and 3D wasn’t doable on all platforms so the decision was made to move forward without it.
Why “Resident Evil: Revelations” won’t be released for the Playstation Vita:
- When we were developing Revelations for new platforms we really wanted to hone in on the experience you get with a large format screen, surround sound, etc. This type of setup really helps players get sucked into the horror vibe and enjoy the game to its fullest extent.
- 3DS and PS-vita infrastructure let alone developing games for them are extremely different beasts. Even just the screens as you mention are completely different resolutions/functions.
The high-definition port of “Resident Evil: Revelations” will be released for the Nintendo Wii U, PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms in North America on May 21. The survival-horror title originally came out for the Nintendo 3DS on Feb. 7 in North America.