This is part of a series to help managers and human resources professionals to understand the various religions in the workplace. Based on the Religion Culture Bridge and used with permission from Max Impact,
The Islamic faith has a strong emphasis of charity. Muslims often give to others inside and outside of their devotion but how the gift is received is also an important factor.
It is important when you receive benevolence to understand the intent of the gift. The giver should avoid any sort of phrases that place the receiver of donated goods and services in a state of utter despair. The recipient of funds or goods should never be made to feel like they are any less than the giver.
The Giver should recognize that he or she was spared from the state of the giver and that should the roles be reversed, the giver of charity would not wish to be looked down upon. Most recipients of charity are not hopeless or helpless individuals, they are merely people who need a helping hand to get moving in the right direction and become prosperous.
Predominant religions of the world
- Christian 33.03% of the world’s population
- Islam (Muslim) 20.12%
- Hinduism 13.34%
- Buddhism 5.89%
- Atheism 2.36%
- Sikhism 0.39%
- Judaism 0.23%
- Baha’i n/a
This is an excerpt from the Religion Culture Bridge which is part of the Culture Bridges available from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based leadership development and business strategy website offering a host of complimentary information. © Max Impact, used by permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.