Princess Cruises will be all heart this Valentine’s Day with its second “Cruising for Cause” in February. The special cruise will feature guest experts and celebrities who will help educate passengers about heart health.
Among the lineup will be “The Love Boat” doctor himself – Bernie Kopell. For 10 seasons, Kopell looked after the health of passengers aboard ship as Dr. Adam Bricker “Doc” on the popular Love Boat. During the Princess cruise, Kopell will be available to meet with and sign autographs for passengers.
Sailing from Feb. 10-15, 2014, aboard Ruby Princess on a Caribbean Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, the five-day voyage will offer passengers a heart-themed experience, focused not only on “affairs of the heart,” but also a variety of onboard features themed around healthy living and heart health awareness.
“These terrific guests and the line-up of special heart health-themed activities will make this cruise a special opportunity for our passengers to learn how to build healthier lives,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. “We look forward to a heart-felt cruise that will raise important funds for the American Heart Association.”
These guests include a renowned cardiac surgeon, a celebrity chef, an award-winning author, a four-time Super Bowl champion, and a beloved cast member from the hit television series The Love Boat. The benefit cruise will raise funds for the American Heart Association’s (AHA) programs and educational outreach.
A portion of each passenger’s cruise fare, totaling approximately $500,000, will be matched by Princess Cruises with an additional $500,000, for a total of $1 million. The proceeds will be used to support the American Heart Association’s mission to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
The American Heart Association cruise will sail on a Western Caribbean five-day itinerary roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale, with calls at Grand Cayman and Cozumel.
Cruise fares range from $379 to $1,649 per person based on double occupancy. A tax-deductible portion of each fare ranging from $100 to $300 per person, depending upon cabin category, will be donated to the American Heart Association.
Among the educational opportunities available exclusively for this cruise are training in the American Heart Association’s Hands-Only CPR; seminars on how to better manage stress, diet, and exercise; and a heart disease and stroke survivor reception. Passengers can also take advantage of complimentary blood pressure screenings and participate in a fundraising walk on deck, patterned after AHA’s successful HeartWalks.
Valentine's Day themed programming will include a special onboard renewal of vows and other romantic touches. The cruise will be capped off with a Ruby Red Gala party.
Special guests on the sailing include:
- Dr. Kathy Magliato, MD, MBA, FACS - A nationally recognized expert on heart disease in women, she is currently the Director of Women’s Cardiac Services at Saint John’s Medical Center in Santa Monica, California, where she is developing a Multidisciplinary Women’s Health Center to address the cardiac needs of female patients. Magliato is one of the few female cardiothoracic surgeons in the world with specialization in heart failure, heart transplantation, and artificial/mechanical heart technology.
- Jesse Sapolu – Four-time Super Bowl champion Jesse Sapolu played center and offensive guard for the San Francisco 49ers during his 15-year football career. He now serves as the 49ers’ alumni coordinator, and is a motivational speaker and author of the biography “I Gave My Heart to San Francisco.” He is also the co-founder of the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame and a spokesperson for the American Heart Association.
- Chef Marc Anthony Bynum – A finalist on Food Network's “Chopped,” celebrity Chef Bynum will be offering fun, innovative healthy cooking demonstrations for passengers to help them Cook Healthy; Cook Delicious!
- Diana von Welanetz Wentworth – An award-winning author and national speaker on many facets of heart health, Wentworth’s passion for nurturing women’s hearts arose from her own surprising heart attack. Drawing from the recommendations of the American Heart Association, she developed a unique, fun, holistic program of heart-health care that is the topic of her newest book: “Love Your Heart: Follow the Red Thread to a Heart-Centered Life.”
- David and Karen Gamow – The authors of “Freedom from Stress,” the Gamows have provided workplace stress management training to clients including NASA, CBS, GE, Marriott, Intuit, Nokia, Stanford School of Medicine, and the U.S. Army. The founders of Clarity Seminars, they have personally trained more than 20,000 people throughout North America to reduce stress and change their lives for the better.
The cruise is the second of the company’s new “Cruising for a Cause” initiative where Princess will dedicate entire sailings to support select charitable causes. This new, industry-leading program will provide the line’s passengers, many of whom are looking for opportunities to make positive contributions to their communities and the world, a way to make a difference even as they vacation. The first cruise, to support U.S. veterans, sailed in November 2013.
For more information: Contact Princess Cruises at 1-800-PRINCESS or by visiting the company's website at princess.com.