Online dating site, Plenty of Fish (POF), announced on May 20 that it has decided to remove the “intimate encounters” option from the site. POF founder, Markus Frind, decided to make this somewhat radical move in an effort to take the dating site’s integrity back and place emphasis back on the founder’s original vision … relationships.
The announcement of the option change, along with two others was made to POF customers via the site. Frind stated that, "When I created POF, I wanted it to be all about finding relationships with the right person. I got the site to 10 million users without any employees, people and POF was generating a ton of relationships. But around three years ago, everyone started using the website via mobile phones."
About 70 percent of the sites users log on via a mobile phone and Frind reports that, “unfortunately about 2% of men have started to use POF as more of a hookup site mostly due the casual nature of cell phone use.”
The three major changes to the POF website are:
1. First contact cannot be sexual. “Anyone who tries to get around this rule will be deleted without warning,” says POF.
2. Users can only contact others who are not more than 14 years younger or older than themselves. There is "no reason for a 50 year old man to contact a 18 year old women," according to POF.
3. “Intimate Encounters” have been terminated. According to POF statistics, there are 3.3 million people who use the site every day, and of those there are only 6,000 single women looking for intimate encounters. And of those 6,000 women, many are men. "Intimate Encounters on POF can be summed up as a bunch of horny men talking to a bunch of horny men pretending to be women," Frind stated.
For those seeking to find a serious relationship via online dating, this can only be good news to know that the founder is taking a proactive role.
©Yvonne P. Mazzulo, All rights reserved.
- Never miss an update! Check out and subscribe to Yvonne’s other columns on Pop Culture, Dating, Makeup, Women’s Issues, Self-Awareness, Sports and News.
- Connect with Yvonne P. Mazzulo on Twitter, Facebook Google Plus and Bubblews.