Last Thursday, the Obama administration announced two new executive orders--two new infringements on that which shall not be infringed, without even bothering with the effort of hiding its dirty work behind the thin facade of Constitutional legitimacy that Congressional approval would have lent it. One of the orders, today's topic, will ban the re-importation of decades-old rifles, once provided to our allies, for whom they provided honorable service, but long ago replaced by far more modern firearms in every military on Earth, for sale on the domestic civilian market. From Fox News:
One new policy will end a government practice that lets military weapons, sold or donated by the U.S. to allies, be reimported into the U.S. by private entities. The White House said the U.S. has approved 250,000 of those guns to be reimported since 2005; under the new policy, only museums and a few other entities like the government will be eligible to reimport military-grade firearms.
No one in the Obama administration is quite foolish enough to believe that this newest attack on gun ownership (or more accurately, this escalation of a not-so-new attack) will save a single American life. It stands, in fact, by effectively killing the Civilian Marksmanship Program, to do precisely the opposite, by robbing the American people of a program that has helped us maintain our life and liberty preserving marksmanship skills--a program that the U.S. government itself has described as both patriotic and safe. Update: Further scrutiny has found the assertion that the regulatory change will threaten the Civilian Marksmanship Program is not borne out by facts. St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner regrets the inaccuracy.
Some are fighting back against this latest presidential atrocity. Thousands of Americans have already petitioned the government for redress of this particular grievance--a nearly effortless step. This, while certainly worth the seconds it takes to do, is limited by the fact that the Obama administration has consistently displayed a remarkable immunity to the wishes of the American people. Besides, even if the administration does back down this time, there is no assurance that it, or some future administration, will not take the same vile action later.
A more substantial effort could come from Congress, though. H.R. 2247, the "Collectible Firearms Protection Act," introduced by Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-WY), would specifically prohibit the banning of these important historical firearms for domestic civilian use. The bill has languished in obscurity since its introduction in early June, but with the need for such legislation so starkly illustrated now, that can change--and must change.
There appears to be no equivalent Senate bill, but "pro-gun Democrat" Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) has introduced such legislation in previous sessions. It's time that he be strongly encouraged to do so again. Meanwhile, every U.S. Representative in the nation needs to hear--long, loudly and firmly--that anyone who presumes to "represent" the American people must support H.R. 2247. For those whose reps have no affection for gun rights, remind them that this is also an issue of Congress protecting its own power from executive overreach.
These guns belong to the American people. Obama's import ban by fiat had might as well be a confiscation, not just of guns, but of our history--and of skills that we will some dark day need to preserve our nation and our lives. He must be stopped, one way or another.
- Why is Obama administration blocking import of surplus rifles?
- ATF: Surplus Korean firearms imports 'pose a threat to public safety in the U.S.
- Pierce Co. prosecutor gets it right, ATF gets it wrong
- What will the Obama administration's 'gun control' agenda look like?
- Forcible citizen disarmament by fiat: When separation of powers gets in the way
- Will Obama strip gunwalking prohibition and add anti-gun provisions to budget?
- Obama budget exposes depth of hostility to gun rights, American people
- New York magazine ban waves red flag at ‘patriotic’ gun safety program
- From Syria to Seattle, the liberal mindset simply doesn’t get it
- The Toad Gets His Hopping Orders: Collectivist Regime Attacks the Civilian Marksmanship Program (among other things).
- Relevant Questions
- Hurt gun collectors, not pot smokers, says Obama admin.
- Gun owners petition White House on Obama order; Gun rights win in Miss.