On Thursday, NRA president David Keene told talk show host Ernest Istook that he has received "hundreds" of death threats since the first of the year. Those threats, he said, reflect attempts by liberals and President Obama “to demonize and blame those who disagree with him for everything he doesn’t like.”
Keene said that his children have also received death threats.
"My son, who has the same name as I do, had someone post a death threat on his Facebook page," Keene said.
When his son said they had targeted the wrong person, "they came back and said, 'well, now that we know you're their children, we wish you'd be killed,'" Keene added.
An article at Breitbart.com reminds readers that Keene "is literally targeted by a video game that invites people to shoot him, which he calls the 'Kill David Keene' game."
"The good news, according to Keene, is that those who play the game are unlikely to be gun owners," Istook wrote.
“So I’m probably safe,” Keene said.
"Meantime," Istook added, "much of America’s media show little concern for Keene’s safety. Instead, they attack the NRA for its video ad that asserts other schoolchildren deserve the same safety as President Obama’s daughters enjoy at school."
Keene places part of the blame on the mainstream news media.
"The national media is basically at this point a cheering section for the President, particularly on guns because the elite media has always been a part of the effort to gut the Second Amendment," he said.
Since the Newtown shootings, media personalities like Piers Morgan have targeted supporters of gun rights, while others have expressed their hatred in a variety of ways. Some, like John Cobarruvias, a member of the Texas Democratic Party Executive Committee, have openly called for supporters of the NRA to be killed.
After Obama challenged Americans to stand up to the NRA, national media outlets stepped up their attacks on the NRA, with CBS anchor Bob Schieffer comparing Obama's struggle with the pro-gun group to America's war with Nazi Germany, and MSNBC's Martin Bashir compared the organization to Hitler.
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members after NRA press conference (Video)
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members are shot dead
- Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- Should an apology from a Democratic Party Executive Committee member cover calls for mass shootings?
- Piers Morgan: NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre ‘dangerous, dim-witted, deluded menace’
- Gun debate pits liberals, media against Constitution, freedom-loving Americans
- Des Moines columnist calls for repeal of Second Amendment, death of gun owners
- Pat Buchanan warns of revolution if government tries to confiscate weapons
- Daily Beast writer: Piers Morgan should ‘pop’ Alex Jones with semi-automatic gun
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
- Unhinged: Violent online game lets players murder NRA officials by shooting them
- MSNBC's Martin Bashir compares NRA to Hitler
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, PolitiCollision, Liberty Unyielding and Spokane FAVS.