Nintendo president Saturo Iwata previously stated that the company must study the smartphone and tablet market leading to speculation that the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS maker may think about putting its games on mobile platforms. Iwata dashed those rumors during a Thursday financial meeting in Japan but did reveal plans to open up licensing of its characters to other developers..
According to a series of tweets from analyst David Gibson and a liveblog from the Wall Street Journal, Iwata said it is actively planning to use mobile devices to "make connections with customers" but stated that there will be no games. In a follow-up Q&A session, the Nintendo head stated that the mobile application will not be a money maker but a way to communicate with users. He does however admit that it is difficult to expect people to regularly use marketing apps.
Instead, the company is focused on its existing Wii U and Nintendo 3DS and plans to license the rights to popular characters to new partners. We've seen this somewhat already with the tentatively titled Hyrule Warriors from Tecmo Koei which is a mash-up between The Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors.
Iwata said that the company plans to be more flexible with the licensing and is already in discussions with other developers. Not everything will be licensed though as Nintendo will consider if there's a chance at undermining competitiveness.
You can follow Scott via Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed or email alerts for all the latest game news and deals as well as the weekly Furious Fourcast podcast/videocast. All game news on Examiner can be followed at the Game On Facebook page and Twitter feed.