Just over a week before Newtown, Conn. marks the first anniversary of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the recordings of the 911 calls made that day will be released to the public. According to Fox News today, the tapes will be unsealed on Wednesday, Dec. 4.
The announcement comes a week after Superior Judge Eliot Prescott ruled that the tapes, which involve a "clear public interest," must be released no later than that date.
Danbury State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky had previously argued that the recordings contain "information relative to child abuse" and filed for a stay of the decision, which was denied, but said today that he will not be appealing the ruling.
In accordance with a ruling by Connecticut's Freedom of Information Commission, the tapes will be released to the Associated Press. They reportedly include the sound of two gunshots, but no "graphic sounds" from victims or the names of any children who were killed in the shooting.
The AP reportedly sought out the tapes in part to look at the response from law enforcement. Prescott said in his decision that they will help measure the "appropriateness" of the response and also "vindicate and support the professionalism and bravery" of first responders.
Meanwhile, it was also announced today that should the Newtown High School football team advance through this week's playoffs to the state championship game, it will be held on Dec. 13 instead of the scheduled date of Dec. 14, the one-year anniversary of the massacre. The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference approved NHS' request to move the date of the game if necessary.