If you’re a fan of this column, you know food and beverage holidays are incredibly popular occasions and Aug. 4 is no exception. If you need a little something to whet your whistle and tickle your palate, go grab your biggest wine glass. Aug. 4 is National White Wine Day, an annual beverage holiday created by wine enthusiast, freelance writer and “Queen of Holidays,” Jace Shoemaker-Galloway.
White Wine Basics
Wine has been consumed for thousands of years. In fact, traces of white wine residue were discovered in King Tut’s tomb. Derived from the skin and juice of grapes, white wine is actually not white. Its colors range from light yellow to golden hue. Usually served chilled, white wine is available in many varietals including Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, to name a few.
Whether you prefer a light-bodied or full-bodied wine, dry, sweet or sparkling, with brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert or out on the deck, a glass of white wine is fine anytime of the day or night. In honor of National White Wine Day, why not celebrate the occasion with a glass or two of your favorite white wine or invite a few of your favorite BFFs over for a wine-tasting party? And why not whip up one or two of the white wine cocktail recipes listed below?
10 White Wine Cocktails
- White Wine Spritzer – The Pioneer Woman shares her simple and fabulous White Wine Spritzer recipe. You’ll need very, very cold white wine, very, very cold club soda and a slice of lime. Viola!
- White Wine Spritzer – This simple-to-make drink calls for dry white wine, club soda and a lemon peel.
- Grapefruit Wine Spritzer – Grapefruit lovers will love this recipe from Martha Stewart You’ll need grapefruit juice, gin, sparkling white wine or Champagne, sugar and lemon slices.
- Peach & Honey Sangria Slushies – Perfect for summer weather, this refreshing cocktail, from the Snappy Gourmet, is sure to be the hit of the party! You’ll need white wine, orange liqueur, peach liqueur, fresh orange and lemon juice, honey, frozen peaches and lime or orange slices. Serve in Mason jars and you are good to go!
- Funky Garlic – This cocktail calls for coke, sprite and white wine.
- White Strawberry-Lemon Sangria – This pretty cocktail, from Kitchen Treaty, is also served in Mason jars. You’ll need white wine, light rum, fresh strawberries, lemon-lime soda, lemons and an apple.
- Crimean Cocktail – You’ll need dry white wine, orange liqueur, soda water and lemon juice for this cocktail from Chow.
- Champagne Sorbet Punch – This recipe, from Bar None Drinks, calls for sparkling wine or Champagne, white wine and lemon sherbet.
- Aloha Bubbly – This recipe, from Drinks Mixer, calls for dry white wine, pineapple juice, club soda and sugar.
Cranberry Tart Cocktail
Not too tart, not too sweet, this pretty drink is the Queen of Holidays' favorite cocktail!
- White wine
- Cranberry Juice
- Lime Juice
- Citrus-flavored soda
- Fill your wine glass three quarters of the way to the top with your favorite chilled white wine.
- Add chilled cranberry juice until the glass is full and a splash of lime juice to top it off.
- If you want a few bubbles in your cocktail – add a splash or two of a citrus soda. Delish.
Speaking of wine, Red Wine Day is right around the corner! For more wild, wacky and wonderful holidays, make sure to visit Holidailys - because every day of the year really is a holiday. As always – please drink responsibly. Cheers!