If you are a fan of this holidays column, you know food holidays celebrate all kinds of delicious foods and beverages. May 24 is National Escargot Day, an annual foodie holiday that celebrates, well, snails.
Enjoyed for centuries, escargot is often synonymous with French cuisine. It's estimated the French chow down on 40,000 metric TONS of snails annually! Typically eaten as an appetizer, escargot is low in fat and high in protein. According to iGourmet, there are over 100 different edible species but the most popular escargot are Helix Aspersa, Helix Pomatia and Achatine.
Whether you're a fan or not so much, why not whip up one or two of the dishes listed below in honor of National Escargot Day?
- Easy Garlic Escargot - You'll need seven ounces of drained escargot, butter, a clove of garlic, mushrooms, white wine, all-purpose flour, tarragon leaves, Parmesan cheese and cream for this 5-star recipe.
- Escargots a la Bourguignonne - This dish calls for dry white wine, 12 - 16 snails, kosher salts, shallots, parsley, a garlic clove, butter and French bread.
- Escargot with Garlic Butter and Splash of Cognac - This recipe calls for garlic, butter, parsley, kosher salt, cognac and a can of escargot.
- Escargot in the Shell with Herb Butter - You'll need one pound of escargot in the shell, butter, Italian parsley, fresh lemon juice, a shallot, clove of garlic and salt and pepper.
- Garlic Escargot with Goat Cheese, Fennel and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms - This recipe calls for mushroom caps, snails, unsalted butter, minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, smoked bacon, fennel, yellow onion, goat cheese, bread crumbs, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and French bread.
- Escargot Stuffed Mushrooms - This 5-star recipe, from Rebecca Franklin, calls for 12 large mushrooms, 12 large canned snails, shallots, butter,one garlic clove, celery, fresh parsley and salt and pepper.
- Savory Escargot Stuffed Buns - You'll need dry active yeast, olive oil, sugar, salt, bread flour, butter, garlic cloves, basil, oregano, extra-virgin olive oil and one can of large snails.