If you need a little something to whet your whistle, go grab a glass. It’s National Aperitif Day, a spirited holiday observed annually on the third Thursday in May.
According to Merriam-Webster, an aperitif is “an alcoholic drink that people drink before eating a meal.” An aperitif stimulates the appetite and palate without overwhelming ones' senses. Best served cold, these clean and light cocktails typically contain vermouth, gin or Campari.
In honor of National Aperitif Day, why not whip up one or two tried-and-true or brand new refreshing cocktails listed below?
Celebrate National Aperitif Day with 13 Refreshing Cocktails
- Classic Dry Martini – This classic drink calls for dry vermouth, London Gin, a green olive and cracked ice.
- Aperitif – You’ll need gin, Campari, dry vermouth and prosecco or champagne for this one.
- Adonis – You’ll need dry oloroso sherry, sweet vermouth, orange bitters and an orange peel for this drink.
- Grapefruit Sparkler – This drink calls for Campari, champagne or sparkling wine, sugar, ruby-red grapefruit juice and star anise.
- Rob Roy – You’ll need Scotch whiskey, Italian vermouth, Angostura bitters, cracked ice, lemon twist and a chilled cocktail glass.
- Negroni a la Racoco – This cocktail calls for gin, Cynar and Punt e Mes.
- Park Avenue – You’ll need gin, dry vermouth, sweet vermouth and unsweetened pineapple juice for this beverage.
- The Clipperton – You’ll need dry vermouth, Pimms, fresh lemon juice, dry sparkling wine, fresh mint and Stonewall Kitchen raspberry syrup for this drink.
- Campari Cocktail – You’ll need Campari, vodka, Angostura bitters and a lemon twist for garnish.
- Campari Sanguinea – This pretty-in-pink drink calls for Campari, pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, ice and a twist of grapefruit.
- Cucumber Gimlet – You’ll need gin, cucumbers, sugar, fresh lime juice, ice cubes and lime slices for this refreshing cocktail.
Check out the following recipes, courtesy of Lillet.
Lillet Rosé Spritz
- 1 part Lillet Rosé
- 1 part dry grapefruit or citrus soda
- Grapefruit slice
- Sage leaf
Directions: Add first 2 ingredients to wine glass and top with ice. Garnish with sage and grapefruit.
- 3 parts Lillet Rosé
- 0.75 part peach liqueur
- 1.50 parts fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
Directions: Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
As always, please drink responsibly.