On Wednesday, Nancy Pelosi issued a tweet claiming that raising the minimum wage to $10.10 would magically create 85,000 jobs, Twitchy reported, causing many to school the California Democrat once called "mind-numbingly stupid" by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy.
"Joined @askgeorge and @USDOL today in calling on GOP to #raisethewage to $10.10. If we do, we can create 85,000 jobs," Pelosi tweeted, referencing Rep. George Miller, another California Democrat.
A number of people took Pelosi to task for her comment, Twitchy said.
"Why not just raise the minimum wage to $100/hr so we all get rich. Wouldn't that work?" one person asked sarcastically.
"Make it $500. Are you racist or something??" another person said in response.
"How does raising the wage can create 85,000 jobs. You should say we will lose 85,000 jobs," another person tweeted.
Another person asked how raising the minimum wage would create jobs in the first place, something Pelosi never explained.
"Or like Obamacare math you'll [create] 85000 new jobs while destroying 3 million other jobs," another person observed.
The minimum wage was created in 1938 as part of the Fair Labor Standards Act in part, to help stabilize the post-depression economy and create a minimum standard of living.
But some have decided they want to see that minimum standard become a "living wage."
Some, like Kshama Sawant, Seattle's new Socialist city council member, are calling for a $15.00/hour minimum wage, and others want Obama to unilaterally decree a minimum wage hike through an executive order.
This isn't the first time Pelosi has called for a $10.10 minimum wage.
Last March, GOPUSA reported that Pelosi called for a hike to $10.10.
"If we are going to honor our commitment to the middle class, we have to reflect that intention in our public policy," she said.
Ironically, Pelosi recently said Republicans are heartless for wanting job creation.
- Nancy Pelosi: Republicans heartless for wanting UI benefits paid, job creation
- Nancy Pelosi scolds reporter for saying 'Obamacare'
- GOP Rep. Gowdy: Nancy Pelosi 'mind-numbingly stupid,' recommends doctor visit
- Sheila Jackson Lee suggests renaming 'welfare' to 'a transitional living fund'
- Seattle voters elect socialist Occupy Wall Street activist to city council
- Dem. Rep. Keith Ellison demands Obama raise minimum wage by executive order
- Liberal Democrats to Obama: Rule like dictator on minimum wage, deportations
- Wal-Mart scraps plans for stores after D.C. passes $12.50 minimum wage bill
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.