On Tuesday, Julian Bond, chairman emeritus of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, told MSNBC's Thomas Roberts that it was perfectly legitimate for the IRS to target conservative Tea Party organizations because, in his view, they are "admittedly racist" and tried to hurt Barack Obama politically, Mediaite reported.
Ironically, Bond made the statement after observing that his group was unfairly targeted by the IRS in 2004 after he gave a speech critical of George W. Bush.
But Bond said there were no parallels between what happened to the NAACP and various conservative groups.
“I don’t think there’s a double standard at all,” he said. “I think it’s entirely legitimate to look at the Tea Party.”
“I mean, here are a group of people who are admittedly racist, who are overtly political, who tried as best they can to harm President Obama in every way they can,” he added. “They are the Taliban wing of American politics and we all ought to be a little worried about them."
"It was wrong for the IRS to behave in this heavy handed manner. They didn’t explain it well before or now what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. But there are no parallels between these two," Bond said.
Roberts asked Bond if he thought his assessment was “a little harsh.”
“Not at all, not at all,” Bond responded. “The truth may hurt, but it’s the truth.”
"And, just think," Jim Hoft said at the Gateway Pundit. "This group used to care about civil rights!"
Video of Bond's comments can be seen here.
- Washington IRS officials implicated in growing scandal, hearings set for Friday
- Is the ‘mainstream media’ fomenting violence against conservatives?
- Did David Plouffe justify IRS targeting conservative Tea Party groups?
- Michele Bachmann: IRS admission means credibility of 2012 election in doubt
- Transparency or cover-up? 'Off-the-record' briefing becomes 'deep background'
- Sen. James Inhofe: Obama could face impeachment over Benghazi cover-up
- IRS admits targeting conservative Tea Party groups, apologizes
- Is the Obama Administration using the IRS to silence opposition?
- Maine Governor calls IRS the 'new Gestapo' in radio address on Obamacare
- MSNBC host Touré: Government should be paternalistic with more mandates
- Liberal talker Mike Malloy: ‘Angel of the Lord’ should behead Tea Party members
- Hollywood kills Tea Partiers, Christians in movie 'God Bless America'
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?