On Monday, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow told Andrea Mitchell that Bush administration policies in the Middle East are to blame for practically everything, including the current crisis in Ukraine, Newsmax reported.
“The decisions of our generation on national security are determined more than anything by what the George W. Bush administration did with that 9-year war in Iraq and, alongside it, a 13-year war in Afghanistan that’s still going on," Maddow said. "And the American people are against those wars."
“Those are the determinative constraints for our thinking about everything,” she added, “from Crimea, to Syria, to what the overall size of the U.S. military is.”
Maddow appeared to hawk her new documentary, "Why We Did It," which, by listening to Maddow, can be summed up in one word: Bush.
According to Maddow, despite having been out of office for some six years, practically everything going on overseas is Bush's fault.
Refighting the battle over the Iraq war, for example, Maddow claimed the "public case for why we went to Iraq was not true."
"It's getting at the question that needs to be answered," she told Mitchell, who simply agreed with Maddow's premise without question.
Mitchell, Newsmax said, claimed Bush administration policies impacted "... every other decision we make — why the president decided not to go ahead with air strikes against Bashar al-Assad on Labor Day weekend.”
“And that, some would argue, not me, but some of the critics are saying that has influenced the way how foreign leaders and perhaps Putin view [Barack Obama],” she added.
Maddow isn't the only one to pin the current crisis on Bush.
On Sunday, administration officials took a gratuitous swipe at Bush, telling reporters they "have not made it a practice to look into Vladimir Putin's soul," referencing a remark the former president said upon meeting Putin in 2001.
- Childish: Obama admin takes swipe at George W. Bush in comment about Putin
- Report: President Obama misses national security meeting on Russia, Ukraine
- Madeleine Albright: Democrats will blame Bush ‘forever’
- Connecticut company releases Obama SEAL action figure ‘Rambama’
- Poll: Only 17 percent see President Obama as a strong military leader
- Did President Obama give a top secret military drone to Iran?
- President Obama fiddles as the world burns
- UK paper asks: Is Barack Obama the weakest President in history?
- Obama angers many with reference to ‘my military’