A California witness at Oceanside reported watching a triangle-shaped object heading south and parallel with the Coast Highway at an altitude of 200 feet, according to recent testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witness was outside on a balcony about 10:50 p.m. on January 12, 2013, when the object was first observed lit by the street lights of Coast Highway.
"It was three red lights in an equilateral triangle and none were lit," the witness stated. "They were heading south, parallel with Coast Highway at around a 200-foot altitude. I'd estimate the lights at 50 feet apart. I watched for close to 20 seconds before it was out of range. Estimated speed was 80 to 100 mph."
The witness has a military background and could not identify the object.
"Having spent five years as a Merchant Seaman I've seen many strange things in the sky - meteors, satellites, military and civilian aircraft, but these three unlit, red lights were the strangest thing I've ever seen in the sky. I was not drinking (sober 18 years) and am not prone to hallucinations."
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 15, 2013. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Oceanside is a coastal community along California's southern coast, population 183,095.
California UFO coverage includes:
- California mom-daughter encounter chevron UFO in Alpine County
- Dark triangle UFO reported over California beach community
- Photo: California witness reports unusual object in single frame
- California witness says object lights moved in sequential pattern
- Witnesses report low and slow moving objects over California
- Jets appeared to follow 'solid bright object' over California town
- Hollywood witnesses question odd lighting on triangle object
- California couple records video of daylight boomerang UFO
- Witness reports 'black object' moving over San Diego Airport
- Disc UFO reported under 500 feet over West Hollywood
- Flashing object 'descends to 200 feet' over Sacramento traffic
- Large triangle objects reported over Arizona and California
- California witness reports watching 'ultra bright square object'
- UFO witnesses sought in Burbank, California sighting
- Triangle UFO photographed hovering over San Francisco skies
- Cylinder UFOs reported by multiple witnesses in two states
- Multiple hovering orbs videotaped over Apple Valley skies
- Reseda witness trying to make sense of repeated 'orb traffic'
- Football-shaped UFO reported hovering over wooded area
- California giant UFO witness: 'I almost drove off the road'
- Witness says diamond-shaped object 'unlike anything ever seen'
- Witness reports structured object 'floating' over college campus
- La Mesa witness describes gray cigar object 'in full daylight'
- 'Line of lights' puzzles California witness near Marysville
- Witness says diamond-shaped object emitted humming noise
- Disc UFO photographed low over Palmdale, California
- UC-Davis witnesses report lights at tree line seemed 'tied together'
- 'Chubby plane with no wings' silently moves close to California couple
Recent triangle UFO coverage includes:
- Large triangle UFO reported moving over Carbon County Pennsylvania
- Texas witness describes '4-feet-tall figures' in triangle UFO windows
- Video: Arizona witness captures triangle lights over Chandler
- Silent triangle UFO reported at 500 feet was size of football field
- Florida amateur astronomer recounts 'massive black rectangle'
- New Texas witness testifies UFO hovered low over Friendswood
- Hovering triangle UFO over Mississippi turns off bright lights
- Low altitude silent black triangle UFO moves over Texas town
- Football field length triangle UFO reported moving over Texas town
- New York triangle UFO described with 'hard to define edges'
- Dark triangle UFO reported over California beach community
- Closed triangle UFO cases: September 2012 yields 17 reports
- Video: Christmas Day UFO hovers over Pennsylvania town
- Triangle UFO surface appeared 'shimmering' over Georgia town
- Pennsylvania witness says black triangle lacked 'normal lights'
- Kentucky witness says triangle UFO hovered 300 feet above roadway
- Video: Triangle UFO reported low over small Michigan town
- Black triangle UFO approaches witness silently in North Carolina
- UFO 'no joke' for Indiana Mom after second rural encounter
- Michigan couple encounters two low flying V-shaped objects
- Maryland witness describes large, low flying triangle UFO
- Four triangle UFOs over Jacksonville appear to scan ground
- Low flying triangle UFO coverage continues over Nebraska
- 'Huge triangle' UFO reported hovering over Missouri home
California is a current UFO ALERT 3 rating, with a high number of UFO sightings nationally. California had 75 reports in December 2012 - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If California MUFON investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 12, 2013, 10:50 p.m., Oceanside, San Diego County, CA - object was not lit, but 3 obvious red lights at apexes. Lights were off. Case 45215.
I was out on the balcony having a cigarette, looking west. Due-West a moving object(s) lit by the street lights of Coast Highway caught my attention. It was 3 red lights in an equilateral triangle, non were lit. They were heading South, parallel with Coast Highway at around 200 altitude. Id estimate the lights at 50 apart. I watched for close to 20 seconds before it was out of range. Estimated speed was 80 to 100mph. Having spent 5 years as a Merchant seaman Ive seen many strange things in the sky. Meteors, satellites, Military and Civilian aircraft, but these 3 unlit red lights were the strangest thing Ive ever seen in the sky. I was not drinking (sober 18 years) and am not prone to hallucinations.