The unemployment rate in Michigan rose for the third consecutive month as more unemployed feel the time is right to reenter the workplace. In figures, released yesterday by the Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Michigan’s unemployment rate hit 9% in August, up from 8.8% in July and 8.7% in June.
The state added more than 8,000 jobs in August with more than a third of those in the manufacturing sector. The bureau also reports Michigan’s manufacturing sector is now 558,000 jobs strong.
In the last 30 days Career Builder has had 7,185 jobs posted for the Detroit area. Of these the majority was in sales (2,260 postings) followed by 1,629 management jobs. Customer service remains strong as 1,095 jobs were posted while engineering was close behind with 1,074 and information technology with 991.
Communities with the largest job growth in the last month according to Career Builder job postings are Detroit (1,865), Troy (591) and Southfield (386).
Other articles and white papers of interest:
- Additional job search tips– home page for several articles
- Grow your resume– educational, certification, and other ways to enhance your resume
- Job search myths– a series separating myths from reality for job seekers.
- Management styles- three types.
- Corporate structures- from entrepreneur to conglomerate.
Top advice during your job search
- How to Find a Job: When There Are No Jobs: a necessary job search book and career planning guide for surviving and prospering in today's hyper competitive job market.
- 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions.
- Your Social Media Job Search: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, and other tools to get the job you want!