Matthew Roblez aka "The MK Bandit" is the newly appointed Commissioner for Ultra Championship Wrestling-Zero, the #1 rated professional wrestling organization in Utah. It is the only weekly television product in the state and is suitable for all ages.
The sport gained popularity with the advent of television, and it didn’t hurt that the matches were being televised nationally, drawing droves of new fans. Wrestling was a natural fit for television; the sport had drama, a dash of comedy and colorful, memorable characters that entertained and uplifted fans.
One of the pioneers of the flamboyant characters was Gorgeous George, who gained fame after Bob Hope began using him for jokes on his famed radio show. Gorgeous George was also the first to introduce entrance music to the arena.
The real boom for wrestling began in the 1980’s with television networks syndicating events. The WWF - World Wrestling Federation - was the only federation to air nationally monopolizing the sport and its fan base.
The term ‘sports entertainment’ was coined and the initial target market was surprisingly children. Matthew Roblez notes that this period ushered in the advent of child-oriented characters and cartoon-like personas. This was the beginning of ‘Hulkamania’, which brought millions of dollars into the sport. Hulk Hogan was adored by legions of fans for his charisma, his outrageous costumes and his sheer size and performances in the ring.
The creation of Paul Heyman’s Extreme Championship Wrestling and the WWE “Attitude Era” of the late 90’s and early 200’s ushered in a whole new audience as the product changed from child oriented to more adult oriented content and storylines. The sport attracts a diverse audience with varying backgrounds. Although professional wrestling has a male oriented demographic, professional wrestling has a huge female base. World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE ) reports that 35% of its fan base are female, and of those, 28% are between the ages of 35 to 44. The highest percentage of adults who have watched a pay- per-view event in the past twelve months were women at 56%. Matthew Roblez’ organization, Ultra Championship Wrestling-Zero has Lacy Ryan, a female, as their Ultra X Champion.
Roblez warns one should not become involved in wrestling shows until they have been properly trained. One of Utah’s most prominent wrestling organizations Ultra Championship Wrestling-Zero stresses that injuries are not what the sport is all about. Professional wrestling is painful and it takes conditioning to train the body to raise tolerance level.
Matthew Roblez Shares Top Ten Pro-Wrestling Moves
As an industry veteran, Matthew carries a nickname affectionately given to him when he was a consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics; MK Bandit. Here he highlights ten unforgettable wrestling moves that helped to catapult the sport to super stardom.
1. The Ace Crusher - a facelock bulldog where a wrestler drops an opponent’s face onto their shoulder
2. The Piledriver - the attacker places his victim’s head between his legs and lifts him from the ground then dropping them headfirst onto the mat
3. The Moonsault - the opponent climbs to the top tumbuckle and flips off through the air to land on their competitor
4. The DDT - the attacker applies a front face lock and drives the opponent back and onto his head
5. The Suplex - the opponent applies a front face lock to the victim then lifts them straight upside down and drops them on their back
6. The Ankle Lock - the attacker grab’s their opponents ankle and lock it up until twisting until the opponent submits
7. Crossface - the attacker controls his opponent while they lay on their stomach, grabbing the victims arm and pulling it across their face until they choke
8. The Powerbomb - the wrestler bends the opponent over, grasps them around the waist, lifts them onto their shoulders and then drops them onto their back
9. Figure Four Leglock - while the opponent is on his back, the attacker bends one of his legs sideways behind his legs and then applies pressure to the locked legs
10. Sharpshooter - the attacker secures the opponent in a lying position on his back spreading the victims legs and places his own leg between them, turns him around and applies pressure to the back
For those that are fans of the sport and are lucky enough to live in Salt Lake City Utah, a major event has been planned for December 28, 2013 at the UCW – Zero Arena (47 S. Orange Street Unite E2, Salt Lake City Utah). The event features some big names in the sport including ECW originals Justin Credible and Raven who will be taking on UCW-Zero’s own superstars Derrick Janetty and Martin Casaus in tag team action.
Matthew Roblez aka "The MK Bandit" notes that the sport is not waning in popularity and he is excited to see where the sport of pro-wrestling goes next.