A 32-year-old man was arrested Monday for a double shooting that happened outside a shopping plaza last month in the Old Fourth Ward in northeast Atlanta.
Still, the motive for the shootings that left one man dead and another critically wounded remained unclear. It was also unclear if the two victims were targeted.
Mr. Marcus Morris was charged with murder and aggravated assault in the in the incident that happened on Jan. 14, Atlanta police spokesman Sgt. Greg Lyon said.
The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the deceased victim as Mr. Rickey Medrano, 27, of Atlanta.
The men were shot after at least one person fired a barrage of bullets outside the shopping plaza on Boulevard Avenue.
The incident unfolded after officers received a 911 call about illegal gambling at 628 Boulevard, according to Atlanta police.
“When officers arrived on the scene they heard gunshots,” police spokeswoman Officer Kim Jones previously said. The shots were coming from 455 North Ave., and investigators said at least 20 shots were fired, forcing people to flee from the parking lot.
One man, with a gunshot wound to the torso, ran towards the officers before he collapsed, Officer Jones said. He was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital in critical condition.
A second man, Mr. Medrano, was transported from the intersection of Boulevard and North Avenue by Grady EMS to Atlanta Medical Center where he was pronounced dead from a gunshot wound to the torso, Officer Jones said.
At the time police believe there were two gunmen who opened fired, but that the shootings were not thought to be connected with the gambling.
It’s unclear if they are searching for a second suspect.
Receive daily news stories and stay current by clicking on the subscribe button at the top of the article and get automatic updates via email each time a new article is published. You may also get quick updates on articles as well as read more local news stories at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlanta-Public-Safety-Examiner/19583707047.