A Maine witness in Dexter reported watching "a round, red object at tree level" that hovered and began moving west, according to January 9, 2013, testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witness realized the cable television was flickering and then had stopped working and stepped outside when the object was first seen.
"I noticed a low, luminous cloud above the small part of Lake Wassookeag across the street," the witness stated. "As I was observing the cloud a red glow appeared to the left of the cloud, just below the tree line. I initially thought it was a radio antenna light, and then it started to rise. A large, bright red object then emerged from the trees approximately 300 yards away from me. I was facing north."
The witness described the object.
"It appeared to be pulsing and was round like an orb with another object in the center emitting red light with some hints of white light as well."
The witness retrieved a pair of binoculars to get a better look at the object.
"As it continued to move to my left, west, it seemed to cross above the street and move behind another section of trees and houses. I ran down to the street with my binoculars but was unable to regain sight of the object. I went back inside my apartment, to the third floor facing north, the original direction of the sighting and was unable to see the object."
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 9, 2013. The events occurred about midnight on January 7, 2013. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Dexter is a town in Penobscot County, ME, population 3,895.
Sphere UFO reports include:
- Photo: Nevada witness captures sphere UFO moving toward Area 51
- Large object reported hovering over small Pennsylvania town
- Ohio witnesses say sphere 'dripping plasma' while crossing sky
- 'Spherical object' reported moving over Pennsylvania highway
- Witness reports 'black object' moving over San Diego Airport
- Orange light UFO ejects smaller gray sphere over Texas town
- Illinois witnesses report '3-foot bubble' UFO over Knox County
- 'Jelly-like sphere' UFO reported moving over Pennsylvania
- 'Three silent objects' with blue-white lights watched by Illinois witness
- Father-son track sphere light over Arizona campground
- South Carolina witness reports multiple spheres and triangle object
- Winter Park, Florida, witness: Sphere UFO 'made time slow down'
- 2012: First UFO reports describe red spheres over South Carolina, Virginia
Maine UFO reports include:
- Controlled orb reported moving up from ground over Maine town
- 1975: Maine family witnesses saucer UFO at 20 feet off ground
- Witnesses watch multiple UFOs from rural Maine location
- Pulsating orange sphere floats across Maine skies
- Maine viewer observes row of lights in eastern sky March 20, 2012
- UFO streaks across Brewer skies March 23
Maine is a current UFO ALERT 5 rating, with a low number of UFO sightings nationally. Maine had 2 reports in December 2012 - the 38th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If Maine MUFON State Director Marie Malzahn investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 7, 2013, Dexter, Penobscot County, ME - A round red object appeared at tree level. It was very close, glowing red. It hovered then started traveling west. Case 45110.
It was approximately 12 midnight when the cable television had been flickering and then stopped working. I went outside on my porch over looking the lake for some fresh air and to observe the stars as I often do. I noticed a low, luminous cloud above the small part of Lake Wassookeag across the street. As I was observing the cloud a red glow appeared to the left of the cloud, just below the tree line. I initially thought it was a radio antenna light, then it started to rise. A large,bright red object then emerged from the trees approx. 300 yards away from me(I was facing North). It appeared to be pulsing and was round like an orb with another object in the center emitting red light with some hints of white light as well. After observing the object for a few seconds with the naked eye,I grabbed my binoculars (near by) and observed it again even closer, moving West. I was very excited, astounded! As it continued to move to my left (West), it seemed to cross above the street and move behind another section of trees and houses. I ran down to the street with my binoculars but was unable to regain sight of the object. I went back inside my apartment, to the 3rd floor facing North (the original direction of the sighting) and was unable to see the object. I will never forget this event and continue to share the details.