Lifetime always delivers a whole sleigh of original programming for the holiday season, but for 2013 the television network for women has teamed up with a number of strong female singers to create some brand new holiday movie musicals. Today they have announced their It's A Wonderful Lifetime line-up, and its launch is right around the corner on November 9 2013.
The first of the bunch, airing that evening at 8 p.m. is A Country Christmas Story starring Dolly Parton. The movie follows a young Appalachian mountain girl (newcomer Desiree Ross) as she pursues her dream of becoming a country star against the wishes of her mother (Megyn Price). Her journey to the stage at Dollywood with a singing competition hosted by Parton reunites her with her musician father (Brian McKnight) and uncovers the musical legacy of African Americans in the world of country music. Mary Kay Place stars as her grandmother.
The rest of the schedule is as follows:
- Twelve Trees of Christmas - Saturday, November 16, at 8 p.m. - Local librarian Cherie (Lindy Booth) is ecstatic to celebrate the holiday season until she learns that a real estate developer, Tony (Robbin Dunn), has plans to demolish her library. Cherie rallies her neighbors to help save the library with a Christmas tree decorating contest. Not to be deterred, Tony joins the competition and recruits professional interior designer, Cordelia (Mel B), to help him beat Cherie. Will Cherie’s devotion be enough to save her beloved library?
- Kristin’s Christmas Past - Saturday, November 23, at 8 p.m. - Estranged from her family, Kristin (Shiri Appleby) falls asleep alone on Christmas Eve only to wake up and discover it’s Christmas morning 1996 and she has to relive the worst Christmas of her life! But this time, Kristin decides to do things differently to change not only her imperfect past, but also her less- than-perfect future. ‘80s icon and Golden Globe nominee Judd Nelson returns to the screen alongside Disney starlet Debby Ryan and Revolution’s Elizabeth Mitchell.
- Dear Secret Santa - Saturday, November 30, at 8 p.m. - After breaking up with her boyfriend, Jennifer (Tatyana Ali) moves back to the house she grew up in, bringing back memories of her recently deceased friend Jack (Lamorne Morris). But after receiving a Christmas card from a secret admirer, she is stunned when she discovers the truth. Jordin Sparks, Della Reese, and Ernie Hudson also headline this all-star cast.
- Christmas in the City - Saturday, December 7, at 8 p.m. - After closing down her small-town family business, Wendy (Ashley Williams) and her six-year-old daughter Grace move to the big city where an old friend offers her a job in the toy department of Wolmans. But her excitement is short lived when the store’s new consultant, Teanna (Ashanti), ruins the holiday spirit throughout the store by replacing Santa with a hunky male underwear model. It’s only when Grace begins to lose faith in the holiday that Wendy realizes she must bring the true meaning of Christmas back to Wolmans before it is too late.
- Christmas on the Bayou - Saturday, December 14, at 8 p.m. - One Tree Hill alums Hilarie Burton and Tyler Hilton reunite in this charming love story. When successful New York marketing executive Katherine (Burton) discovers her workaholic ways are taking a toll on her eight-year-old son, Zac, she decides to spend Christmas with him and her mother, Lilly (Markie Post) in her home town on the bayou. When Caleb (Hilton) tries to rekindle a childhood romance and convince her to move back home, Katherine is torn between the bright lights of the big city and the quiet, gentler rhythms of her Southern roots. Only a Christmas miracle orchestrated by Papa Noel (Ed Asner) can steer her heart to her true home.
- A Snow Globe Christmas - Saturday, December 14, at 10 p.m. - A cynical television executive (Alicia Witt) looks at the perfect world inside a snow globe and rants about how the Christmas movies she produces fall short of real life. Upset, she tries to smash the globe in to pieces, but instead, ends up knocking herself in the head. She wakes up in a perfect snow-covered town, married to her ex, Ted (Donald Faison), with two kids. Trying desperately to return to her old life, she slowly realizes the importance of family and begins to find happiness.
Want more television news and holiday movie information? Follow LA TV Insider Examiner on Twitter!