On Tuesday, the liberal New Republic published an article that was a not-so-subtle suggestion that Barack Obama use military force against the Tea Party in the same manner Boris Yeltsin used it against hardliners in his government nearly 20 years ago.
"What is a president in a presidential constitutional republic to do when faced with an intransigent, bull-headed faction among his people's representatives?" Julia Ioffe wrote.
She then gave a brief synopsis of the events that took place, saying Yeltsin faced a situation similar to what Obama now faces.
"Almost exactly 20 years ago, he dissolved parliament. The vice president and the speaker of the parliament dissolved Yeltsin's presidency, and holed up with their supporters in the parliament's headquarters, now known as 'the White House,'" she said.
"Then Yeltsin did this to it," she added immediately above a picture of a Russian armored vehicle in front of a flaming government building.
Although Ioffe didn't explicitly say Obama should order the military to fire on members of the Tea Party, the implication was quite clear, and didn't go unnoticed by readers of the New Republic.
"And liberals say there is no reason for Americans to own an AR-15," one reader said.
"How far TNR has fallen," another reader commented.
"Wow. The leftist authoritarians are really off the hook," added another reader.
It's not the first time a member of the media has suggested Obama use the military against the small-government, pro-Constitution organization.
In August 2011, Froma Harrup, the head of the Editorial Writer's Board, implied Obama use the military against the Tea Party.
An editorial cartoon published by Arizona Daily Star cartoonist David Fitzsimmons that same month was not so subtle in its suggestion that Obama deploy Navy SEALs to assassinate Tea Party Republicans.
Other liberals op-eds have suggested the same thing, while a columnist at the Washington Post agreed with a "longtime friend" that those responsible for this week's shutdown should be beheaded.
It's almost enough to make one think liberals really do want a second, bloody civil war in America.
- Washington Post on shutdown: ‘Off with their heads,’ ‘Line ’em up and shoot ’em’
- Harry Reid forces gov’t shutdown, Ted Cruz offers salary to charity
- Retired Army officer warns: DHS preparing for war against American citizens
- Military drills in major cities alarm citizens, raise fears of government action
- Renowned author: Obama wants military leaders who will fire on U.S. citizens
- Obama implies GOP to ruin Christmas over Obamacare funding
- Editorial cartoon suggests Navy SEALs assassinate Tea Party Republicans
- Unhinged: Maine senator says Obamacare opponents ‘guilty of murder’
- ‘Tippy-top’ Dem to Politico on shutdown: ‘Time to punch’ GOP ‘bully’ in the nose
- Unhinged: Disgraced former Dem. official calls for eating Republicans, blowing up 2016 GOP convention
- Liberal graffiti states desire of leftists: ‘Kill all Republicans’
- The left’s answer for what ails America: Murder conservatives, NRA members
- White House petitions demand GOP arrested for treason, called terrorist group
- Hyper-partisan Obama in weekly address: ‘Extremist’ GOP set to shut down gov’t (Video)
- Harry Reid, Barack Obama fomenting violence against conservatives over Obamacare
- ‘Sick’ Brauer also encouraged cannibalism and bombing 2016 RNC: ‘I hate people’
- Calif. Dem. official to GOP staffer Amanda Carpenter: May your children all die
- UCSF fundraiser advocates withholding health care from Obamacare opponents
- Obama throws tantrum over Obamacare defunding, says military may not get paid
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.