On Sunday, liberal activist Jesse Jackson repeated his claim that semi-automatic weapons can shoot down airplanes and said they could also "blow up railroads."
“Semi-automatic weapons are not just about gun control, they’re about national security,” he said while appearing on Fox News.
“You know that these weapons can shoot down airplanes, they can blow up railroads. This is really a whole national security issue,” he added.
Jackson said he was okay with having a gun for the house, or a gun for hunting.
“But these semi-automatic, military-style assault weapons -- they shot at the White House two years ago, so none of us are safe,” he added.
Last month, Jackson made a similar claim.
"The young man who did the killing in Aurora, Colorado, with the arsenal he had– he was right near the airport, right near the runways [in] Denver. He could shoot down airplanes, so this is a matter of homeland security as well," he said.
That claim, The Blaze said, was called "laughable" by a former CIA officer.
"I just read the Jesse Jackson quote and quite frankly it’s laughable," said Jason Hanson, author of "The Covert Guide to Concealed Carry."
"It’s clear Rev. Jackson doesn’t know the first thing about rifles and guns in general. It’s like me making a comment about quilting, something I know absolutely nothing about," he added. "With the type of rifle that James Holmes had it would be impossible to shoot down a plane. Okay, nothing is impossible, but it would be as likely as aliens knocking on my front door tomorrow."
Chris Gahr, who assisted in aircraft investigations while in the Marine Corps, told the Blaze that one would "have a better chance of being hit by lightning while winning the lottery than bringing down a commercial airliner with the weapons that [accused Aurora, Colorado shooter James] Holmes carried."
- Homeland Security seeking to purchase 7,000 'assault rifles'
- Legal immigrant on gun control: ‘Few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late’
- Rahm Emmanuel to major banks: Stop serving gun manufacturers
- Americans blame bad parenting, Hollywood for mass shootings over guns
- CNN's Piers Morgan admits gun bans will not stop mass shootings
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Bank of America to gun maker: 'We believe you should not be selling' on Internet
- Philadelphia fifth-grader searched, threatened, called a murderer over paper gun
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein admits: Goal of gun ban is to 'dry up' supply of weapons (Video)
- Six-year-old suspended from school for making finger gun, saying 'pow'
- Five-year-old named terrorist threat, suspended after threat to shoot bubbles
- Thousands gather across nation to celebrate 'Gun Appreciation Day'
- Obama uses videos of children begging for gun control in campaign against NRA
- NRA more popular than President Obama, media silent
- MSNBC's Martin Bashir compares NRA to Hitler
- Liberal propaganda: Chris Matthews calls pro-gun conservatives segregationists
- Marco Rubio: Obama doesn’t have the guts to admit he’s anti-Second Amendment
- Obama declares war on NRA, CBS obeys, compares group to Nazis
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
- Ben Shapiro: Piers Morgan a bully standing on the graves of Sandy Hook children
- Petition demands FBI investigate Piers Morgan, CNN, for call to ‘pop’ Alex Jones