To commemorate its 75th anniversary, Ivar's has released its very own cookbook. Humorously titled Ivar's Seafood Cookbook: The O-fish-al Guide to Cooking the Northwest Catch (Sasquatch Books; September 2013; $29.95), it's the Seattle seafood restaurant's very first cookbook. And it's a rich combination of history, entertainment and recipes using Northwest seafood. The 62 recipes are favorites from the restaurant's menus, from such classics as Ivar's Famous Puget Sound Clam Chowder and Dungeness Crab Cakes to newer menu items like Grilled Halibut Cheeks with Cherry Chutney and Breaded Razor Clams with Jalapeno-Ginger Tartar Sauce.
"Ivar Haglund was part of Seattle's waterfront, history and culinary tradition," said Ivar's President Bob Donegan. "For the 75th anniversary of his restaurants, it was important to honor his whimsical nature with more than a standard cookbook." And it's no surprise that Ivar's -- celebrated for its quirky culture (Keep Clam!), legendary stunts and memorable commercials -- is shellebrating the release of its cookbook with signings, tastings and promotions through the end of the year. Ivar's representatives, including co-author Jess Thomson and the Ivar's Dancing Clam mascot, will appear at a number of the events. The book launch also includes the release of an o-fish-al video trailer.
- September 11 - Ivar's Acres of Clams (Pier 54) - 6-8 PM: This event kicks off the celebration where the seafood magic started 75 years ago. Ivar's President Bob Donegan and the Acres of Clams chef will tell stories, sign cookbooks, pass out prizes and offer samples of dishes. Guests receive a $5 voucher for food and drink with each cookbook purchased.
- September 13 - Santoro's Books (7405 Greenwood Ave N) - 6-8 PM: During Greenwood's Friday Art Walk, Bob Donegan and Jess Thomson will sign books and serve samples of the cookbook's deep-sea recipes.
- September 18 - University Bookstore (4326 University Way NE) - 6:30-7:30 PM: Bob Donegan, Jess Thomson and Ivar's Dancing Clam will give a sneak peek inside the pages of the cookbook, with tales of Ivar Haglund and samples of their favorite Ivar's recipes.
- September 25 - Ivar's Salmon House (401 NE Northlake Way) - 6-8 PM: Bob Donegan and the Salmon House chef team up for an evening of cookbook recipe tastings, Ivar's legends and raffle prizes. With each cookbook purchases, guests receive a $5 coupon toward food and drink.
- October 9 - Ivar's Mukilteo Landing (710 Front St, Mukilteo) 6-8 PM: Bob Donegan and the Mukilteo Landing chef will sign cookbooks and offer samples of the cookbook dishes. Raffle prizes plus $5 voucher for food and drink for each cookbook purchased.
- December 3 - Cookbook Social at Palace Ballroom (2100 5th Ave, Seattle) - 4-7 PM: Bob Donegan and Jess Thomson join 20 other local cookbook authors to share a tasty treat from the Ivar's recipe collection and offer cookbooks for holiday gift giving.
- Costco Warehouse Appearances - Bob Donegan and the Ivar's Dancing Clam will visit three Costco locations for book signings and a clamtastic account of Ivar's history in Puget Sound:
- Shoreline (1175 North 205th St) - October 5 - 10 AM - 12 PM
- Issaquah (1801 10th Ave NW) - October 6 - 12 - 2 PM
- Kirkland (8629 120th Ave NE) - October 12 - 12-2 PM
The cookbook will be sold for the promotional price of $25 ($4.95 off list price) at Ivar's locations (except stadiums); select Costco stores; and at Ivar's website (shipping/handling not included in price).
More About Ivar’s
Ivar’s began selling seafood on Seattle's waterfront in 1938. Today, there are 23 Ivar's fast casual Seafood Bars and three full-service restaurants: Ivar's Acres of Clams, Ivar's Salmon House and Ivar's Mukilteo Landing. Ivar's Seafood, Soup and Sauce Company markets and sells its award-winning soups, chowders and sauces both nationally and internationally. The company also operates regional stadium concessions including Safeco Field, CenturyLink Field and KeyArena.