For three of the last four days, St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner has been covering the Illinois state Senate's campaign of hatred against gun owners in Illinois. The Senate adjourned Thursday, without quite mustering enough votes (but that is due at least in part to the absence of some anti-gun senators), and will apparently wait until Tuesday (when the anti-gunners return) to try again.
The idea is to take a bill that has already passed in the House, gut it with an amendment so that it (for example) instead of making Illinois' nuclear power plants safer, it sends people to prison for owning an 11-round magazine. By replacing the text of a bill already passed in one chamber, the oppressive new anti-gun bills can be passed very quickly. Speed is of the essence to them, both because this session ends Wednesday, and because they want to stay ahead of the grassroots outrage of gun owners in the state.
Now, the House is trying the reverse method. With rabidly anti-gun Representative Edward Acevedo (Chicago Democrat, of course) gutting SB 2899 with House Amendment #1, banning so-called "assault weapons," "high-capacity" magazines, and .50 caliber firearms and ammunition. We have talked about politician and "Only One" Acevedo more than once (how did those legal troubles work out, one wonders?).
The House Judiciary 1 Committee will hold a hearing at 2 PM (Central Time) Sunday, to decide on whether or not the amendment goes on to be voted on by the entire House. The Illinois State Rifle Association urges Illinois gun owners to call the committee members before then, and politely urge them to vote against the amendment (phone numbers are included).
The advice here will be a bit different. I suggest readers show these officials all due respect. In some cases that would be all the respect due a longtime anti-gun oath-breaker who has already told concerned gun owners calling her to "save [their] breath."
Regardless, this is big, folks. If "gun control" can be defeated even in Illinois, while the exploitation of the murdered children of Sandy Hook Elementary School is still rampant, we can beat them just about anywhere, at any time.
- 'Only One' vs. 'Only One'
- IllinoisCarry.com discussion of lame duck gun ban attempt
- And So It Begins. Illinois Gun Bans
- Illinois lawmakers pondering gun ban in defiance of voters' will
- The Sh!t is Thrown Against the Wall in Illinois
- The Floor Amendments In Illinois (Updated)
- Full Court Press in Illinois (must-see video included)
- Illinois Dems vote to penalize gun owners
- Illinois wants to ban firearms and magazines; Muhlbauer wants Iowa to be next
- IL Dems think 11-round magazines more dangerous than outdated nuclear plants
- That depends on the game being hunted, Senator Muñoz
- LATE BREAKING ALERT – NEXT VOTE ON SEMI AUTO BAN WILL TAKE PLACE SUNDAY YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
- Illlinois legislature holding surprise Sunday gun ban amendment vote