Ice Cubes Harmful for your Dog

resized_hobieIcecube_thumb.jpg

Comments

I think it's surprising that this myth is being perpetuated here. There is no solid evidence linking ice to bloat in dogs. Read the following article:

The frozen lake analogy is a bit skewed, don't you think? A body submerged in a frozen lake is very different than an ice cube being digested. Place an ice cube on your leg and see if it cramps up. Remember that your dog has probably chewed the ice cube so that by time it reaches the stomach, it's probably melted.

Ummm....Summer heat in Los Angeles can be brutal and if YOU'RE hot, your dog/s are hot.

Your shows possession and is used correctly in the second part of the sentence, if YOU ARE can be put in the sentence, then it's "you're". It glared at me, Just sayin'.

• Jackie butera 4 years ago

Thank you so much for setting this dog lover straight. I have been known to over endulge when it comes to my best friend, thinking our dog likes cold water just because she drinks it, no more ice for baby LuLu.

Read 1st comment. You missed the part from a vet about this being a MYTH.

• Rawfed 4 years ago

LOL what a dumb article. Is this writer for real? This is such an uneducated, unscientific statement to make, comparing a dog eating ice cubes or drinking ice water to a body in a frozen lake. What?! So does that mean if a human drinks ice water or eats ice cubes, it will make their stomach muscles spasm? By the time the ice reaches the stomach, our internal body temperature will already have melted it and warmed it up... same goes for that of a dog's internal body temperature. People really believe the dumbest things don't they?!

• Kenny VP 4 years ago

Spoke to our vet (and i'm sure each have their own thoughts on the matter) but she said the only real danger with ice cubes is its known to break their teeth. She said the dog that was shown and almost died prob got over worked in the ring /show and as a result bloated from such. Ice will not cause bloat. In fact she feeds her dogs ice as well. Thats good enough for me.....

This apocryphal story is coming up everywhere; icecubes are only hazardous for impacting teeth if the ice is particularly hard. Bloating? Pah.

• April 3 years ago

I agree with you. I have friends who have three Pitties and every morning even in the winter the dogs all line up at the freezer and will stand there and wait until they each get an ice cube. None of them have died of bloat. They each chew the ice cube and for water ends up on the floor then in their stomachs. My other argument is stores that sell those frozen frosty paws and their was a frozen recipe I received from my vet for the dogs. My vet isn't going to do anything that puts my dogs life in danger. How many dogs go swimming in the ocean? Plenty none of them have died. Yes, I think if you are going to give your dog anything to eat you should stay close. Dogs can choke on anything..just be responsible.

Ok....so I understand that really cold liquid in your dogs hot stomach can be a problem, but I think I am going to follow the old horse racing rule which basically says you give the animal small amounts of room temperature water until it cools down after a workout or other excitement, after that it is perfectly fine to give the animal icy or cold water.

Also, my dog generally just licks the ice cubes which is a common practice in zoos "blood-sicles" and ice with vegetables in it etc.

So my advice would be: don't give your dog ice when it seems very hot, stressed out or anxious, but otherwise it should be fine, just supervise the dog at all times during and for about half an hour to an hour after he or she has the ice cubes. Also make sure they are not eating the ice cubes to fast, If the dog is crunching up the ice cubes and eating them like kibble it could easily take in too much air which is the most common cause of bloat in dogs.