First, Stern piqued listeners' curiosity further by saying that he couldn't "legally" comment on last week's New York Post story that quoted NBC "insiders" saying Stern was being "groomed" to replace Fallon with his mainstream "America's Got Talent" gig. Later in Monday's Howard Stern Show, during Robin Quivers' news segment, Stern said that as far as he knows, Leno isn't going anywhere.
"I was asking some of the [NBC] executives, when I was down there doing 'AGT' and I was like you guys don't respect Jay at all, do you? [about Jay Leno]. They go ‘We’re not firing him!’ That’s what they said to me, so I don’t know how any of this is true…I don't know. I want to say ‘no comment’. I want to keep it going.”
Stern then called the rumors he could replace Falon an "insult," stating that he is way too big of a star to get stuck in a 12:30 a.m. time slot.
"First of all, what an insult," said Stern. "Like, all the years of my career. I'm like, the biggest guy in radio. I've done film? I've done television?...I mean, they act like I'm some kind of f***ing beginner or something...Maybe if I'm really nice to NBC they'll let me take over Carson Daly's show at like 2 o'clock in the morning."
Stern pointed out that Fallon likely makes "about a tenth" of his own salary and sarcastically joked that he has also been hired to anchor the NBC Nightly News, guest star on Community, Parks & Recreation and Whitney, and the will host return of 'Tic Tac Dough'."