One of the biggest questions for experienced and newbie eBay sellers alike is, “How much should I sell this item for?”. While there are numerous ways to research selling prices for items listed on eBay, I will discuss just one: search completed items on eBay for similar items or exactly the same item. Be sure to subscribe to my articles for future publications on other ways to research starting bid / best offer prices for items listed on eBay.
To search completed listings for similar or exactly the same item on eBay:
1. Click the Advanced Find link in the upper right hand corner of most any eBay page.
2. On the Advanced Find page, enter the keyword search term (very generically).
3. Check the appropriate box for Condition (New or Used).
4. Then, scroll further down the page and select the box for Sold Items.
Optional: On the left side, click the box to search US only listings
5. Click the button to Search Now.
6. On the search results pages, the completed and sold listings appear. In the Sort drop down box, select the option to sort by “Highest price plus shipping”
Optional: The date of sale may be important if an item was once hard to find or just released. Newly released items will initially fetch a higher price until the item is readily available nationwide (rules of supply vs. demand)
Using the steps above, click here for an example of completed eBay listings for "cashmere sweater"
A seller can see what similar items are selling for by looking at these completed search results listings. If desired, click one of the completed listings to see the item auction description to verify the item is exactly you think it is.
If an item sells quickly at the Buy It Now price, some sellers may think that they let the item go at too low of a price. In fact, some sellers may think they could have received more for the item and greed sets in. Second guessing the price of an item that has already sold is easy to do, but not healthy. As long as a seller had made money on the item (after all fees, of course), then selling the item was a success and the overall store inventory turnover ratio has been improved.