In life, disappointments and let downs will occur, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay in that agonizing state of gloominess. At some point in time, hopefully sooner than later, you will have to get over your disappointments, and move on to bigger and better things in life.
But moving on to bigger and better things are easier said than done, so written below are 5 helpful steps, created to help you overcome disappointments after you have been let down.
1. Decision is key: “You must make a decision that you are going to move on,” stated Joel Osteen in his New York Times bestselling book, Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential. “It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”
2. Stick to your decision: Ephesians 4:26 states “Be angry and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.” The same law applies here, “Do not let the sun go down on you being disappointed,” because by doing so, you will be giving your disappointments power to rule over you.
3. Concentrate on positivity: Take a deep breath and exhale. Focus on the positive things happening around you, and if you are given the chance, help others who are in need. In doing so, your Good Samaritan act will temporarily suppress your disappointment, and you will feel good about yourself. Repeat this step to continuously feel good.
4. Analyze your disappointments: Figure out what went wrong? Were you at fault? Is there anything that could have been done to prevent the disappointment from happening? And if so, what? Answer these questions, learn from your mistakes, and from the mistakes of others, so you can do better next time when similar situations present themselves. Remember, through disappointments, experience is gained.
5. Time heals all wounds: After you have done everything in your power to move on, then it’s time for you to wait for nature to take its course. But being completely healed of your disappointments, could take anywhere from a day, months, or even years, depending on the severity of the disappointing situation. But don’t give up, stand firm and believe that you will persevere, and soon, with a joyous heart, you will overcome your disappointments.
If you like this article, you can follow Zangba Thomson on Twitter @zangbathomson, visit his website, or subscribe to receive email updates when his new article is published; and always remember that (P) Positive, (E) Energy, (A) Always, (C) Creates, (E) Elevation (PEACE).