With all the different brands of pet food on the market today, not all pet foods are created equal, and some may even have ingredients that are less than healthy for our pets. One ingredient in particular that has been coming under scrutiny is carrageenan.
One must remember that pet food sales are big business. In fact, the Pet Food Institute reported that during 2012 there was $19 billion worth of cat and dog food sold in the U.S. alone.
“Increasingly people are beginning to realize how important it is to read the ingredient list on their pet food can or bag,” said Will Post, president of Hound & Gatos Pet Food Corporation. “The problem with that is they will find many ingredients that they don’t recognize at all. Unless they investigate further, reading the ingredients may not be enough to help keep pets safe and healthy.”
Carrageenan (pronounced care-a-GHEE-nan) is found in many pet and human foods today. It is therefore important that people learn more about it so they can make an informed decision about whether or not to avoid it.
Here are five facts about carrageenan that Hound and Gatos recommends that every pet owner should be aware of:
1. Carrageenan is derived from various parts of red algae seaweed.
2. It is used as a thickening agent, binder and stabilizer in many pet food products.
3. Research by The Cornucopia Institute suggests that carrageenan has been linked to gastrointestinal inflammation and colon cancer. Some pet owners have reported that removing it from their pet’s diet has improved gastrointestinal problems.
4. The impact of a pet eating carrageenan may not be immediate. Long term use of pet foods containing this ingredient may cause health problems.
5. The United States Department of Agriculture proposed in May, 2013 to continue allowing it to be included in organic products, despite the safety concerns and public outcry to have it removed from the list of approved substances.
“Anyone with pets that want to help protect their health and longevity will want to avoid carrageenan,” added Post. “It’s a substance that is just not needed and raises a lot of concern about safety risks. Become a label reader, investigate the ingredients you are not familiar with, and strive for feeding pets a more natural, pure meat-based diet.”
Hound & Gatos Pet Food Corporation is based in Atlanta, Georgia. Their mission is to provide the public with high quality pet food options for dogs and cats. Their line of pet foods focuses on the highest quality ingredients that provide maximum nutrition and avoid all bi-products and other ingredients that would generally be unnatural in a pet’s diet. The pet food is sold in over 1,600 stores in the United States and 600 stores in Canada. For more information, please visit their website.
Subscribe to be alerted when more articles are published; your email address will not be shared.
Email info@GeminiUniversal.com if you have comments or a story you would like me to share. I currently write as NJ Animal Rescue Examiner, National Cats Examiner, National Pet Health Examiner, and National General Pets Examiner. Follow me on Twitter and visit us on Facebook for news and updates.