A simple ornament on a Christmas tree is being blamed for the untimely demise of a family's beloved dog. On Tuesday, a woman posted a heartbreaking message of sadness and warning to her Facebook page - the post begins, "With tear filled eyes, I'm writing this as a warning to everyone. Lexi snuck downstairs today around 7-8 am and ate Alice's salt dough ornament(she NEVER does this)."
Initially, Lexi's family was simply irritated that an ornament had been eaten...the dog was acting fine and showed no signs of concerning behavior. Lexi was left at home for several hours and when her family returned, it was quickly apparent that something was terribly amiss. Lexi's owner wrote, "When we got home around 5pm, she had peed all through her kennel and was shaking uncontrollably. She couldn't even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards."
Lexi was rushed to a veterinarian, but the damage from ingesting the salt dough ornament was done...her temperature was 107 degrees and she had suffered neurological damage. The two-and-a-half-year-old dog had to be humanely euthanized.
The young dog's devastated family asked that others heed their warning and protect their dogs from becoming another salt dough ornament victim - the family wrote, "So please, if you make these ornaments, watch your animals around them. This is not something we ever thought we would have to do to our 2.5 year old dog. 😔 Rest in Peace sweet Lexi girl. We miss you so much."
According to the Pet Poison Hotline, salt is toxic to cats and dogs. The site states:
Salt poisoning in dogs and cats results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, lethargy, walking drunk, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated.
National Dog News Examiner on Facebook (click 'get notifications' on the page to receive updates).