Most of us enjoy doing summer activities that can also promote a good workout. Most of us tend to feel a bit bummed out when summer is about to end. However, just because fall is around the corner doesn't mean you still can’t enjoy outside activities and get some exercise from them. Fall is a great time to get out and enjoy the last season of great weather! The air is crisp and clean; the beautiful scenery of the changing leaves is soothing to the eyes and soul. I love the fall... It is one of my favorite seasons! I've made a list of some of my favorite fall activates that also produce a form of fun exercise. Fall is a great time to get out and enjoy the season before old man winter arrives!
- Fall Festivals: One of my favorite things to do in the fall is going to festivals. This weekend in Sleepy Hollow they are having the Cornucopia festival at the Philipsburg Manor. This fall festival is a fun fill event of corn-centric delicacies, interactive, corn-related activities, from a mini corn maze for children, scarecrow, and husk doll making, food and a tour of the 18th century mill. Festival dates are Labor Day weekend, Saturday through Monday, August 31-September 2, from 10-5 each day. It’s perfect for adults and children. You will you have fun doing all these activities and you will get some exercise as well. There are other great festivals in NYC during the fall, check your local listings of fall festivals in your area.
- The San Gennaro festival in NYC: Held in Little Italy for 11 days from Thursday, September 12, through Sunday, September 22, 2013, on the streets of historic Little Italy, the lower Manhattan neighborhood which served as the first home in America for hundreds of thousands of Italian immigrants. This Feast brings the world to Little Italy and Little Italy to the world! Some of the foods may not be the healthiest but you can find some great Italian salads and fish dishes. You get your exercise walking down the streets of little Italy enjoying the sights, sounds and smells.
- Kayacking: This is my all-time favorite activity of the fall! There’s nothing more beautiful than being on a lake or river during the fall watching the amazing views. They are great kayaking tours by Mountain Valley Guides. They have kayaking tours at their Hastings-on-Hudson location, which is close to the Metro North Station (Hudson Line), just a 30 minute ride to a great kayaking adventure! You get to see wonderful views of the Palisades Cliffs and of the New York City Skyline. Kayaking is so much fun and you get a great workout from it. It’s a win –win activity.
- A day at the Central Park: What a great way to stay healthy in the fall and enjoy the best park NYC has to offer! Central park offers so many activities to enjoy and the bonus is you get a great work-out from them. They offer row boating, bicycle riding through the park, horse-back riding, roller blading, roller skating, hiking or a walk or run.
- Apple, Peach, & Pumpkin Picking: Fall can be a treat for the senses. Taking a day to go apple, peach, or pumpkin picking can be a fun and awesome way to exercise for you and your little ones. There are tons of local farm and orchards close to NYC. For those of you who chose to have less exercise, Lawrence Farms Orchards in Newburgh, NY (GPS address: 311 Frozen Ridge Road) offers horse-drawn carriage rides around the farm. They have a "Little Village" and hay bale maze for children and they have a friendly family atmosphere as well as a diversity of the crops, "show chickens", playful goats, for the whole to enjoy a fantastic fun filled autumn day at the farm. They are opened Monday-Sunday 9 am-4 pm, you can reach them at 845-562-4268.
- Hiking and Cycling: Fall is the perfect season to enjoy doing these. They are both great and fun activities that also offer a fun form of exercise. NY has many wonderful trails for hiking and cycling. Bear Mountain in upstate, NY has beautiful trails for hiking and cycling with amazing views! If you are not an experienced cyclist or hiker I would recommend you go with a buddy. You can get lost in some of these trails. Make sure you go early enough in the day so you don’t get caught on the mountain hiking or cycling in the dark. Remember fall marks the start of the days getting shorter.
Fall offers a gorgeous canopy of fall foliage, from the autumn smell in the air to the crunch of the leaves on the ground. These are the perfect months to enjoy outside activities that offer us a chance to exercise, have fun, and enjoy the cooler temperature. Happy Fall!