The New York Times reported Saturday that gun ownership in the U.S. continues to follow a decades-long downward trend:
The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.
That's just the kind of thing that forcible citizen disarmament advocates like to hear--and like to say.
“There are all these claims that gun ownership is going through the roof,” said Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research. “But I suspect the increase in gun sales has been limited mostly to current gun owners. The most reputable surveys show a decline over time in the share of households with guns.”
Ah, yes--Daniel Webster. No fanatical hatred of guns and gun owners here. There's also no mention of gun shows drawing tens of thousands of attendees, braving several-hour-long lines, even in anti-gun stronghold San Diego, California. Certainly no mention of some rather . . . odd results from previous years' versions of the same survey the NYT article is based on.
The gun prohibitionists want lowered gun ownership not only because they dislike guns and gun owners, though. The NYT article cuts to the chase:
It also raises questions about the future politics of gun control. Will efforts to regulate guns eventually meet with less resistance if they are increasingly concentrated in fewer hands — or more resistance?
The notion that gun ownership is declining is an article of faith among advocates of oppressive gun laws, because it is, after all, easier to trample the rights of minorities, as we have discussed before. As noted in that column, this is likely the reason that groups like the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence so often describe the U.S. as a "democracy," rather than acknowledging that we live in a republic.
Perhaps, though, this kind of thinking explains CSGV's insistence on referring to "our democracy" with such regularity, rather than acknowledging that our nation is a republic. Promoting the notion that we live in a society where the majority rules, meaning that 51% can legitimately vote away the fundamental human rights of the other 49%, fits right into CSGV's agenda, especially when coupled with the VPC's latest theme, of gun owners as a minority.
CSGV loves to hammer on the "gun owners as minority" theme, and to dismiss gun rights advocates who are black, or female, or homosexual etc., as not representing the "genuine opinion of" whichever minority demographic they are a part of. National Gun Rights Examiner David Codrea has caught them in not one, but two recent, blatant examples of this unsavory behavior.
The minority opinion, according to CSGV, can be safely disregarded, and the rights of those holding such opinions legitimately trampled. Whatever else one might say about CSGV, they cannot be accused of lack of respect for "gun control's" long tradition of oppression of minorities.
CSGV's problem, and the problem of any government officials who do their bidding, is that gun owners are quite capable of defending our rights, even as a minority as small as, say, three percent.
- A New Low
- So What?
- Do 'gun control' groups think rights of minorities less important?
- St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner honored by Coalition to Stop Gun Violence?
- What Kind Of People Does NORC 'Survey'?
- CSGV Adds Anti-White Racism to Misogyny
- Civil rights advocates pose dilemma for prejudiced gun-grabbers
- It's okay to oppress them, they're a declining minority.
- The Numbers Don't Add Up