It's the most popular weapon used by hunters in Colorado, but if Democrats in that state have their way, the standard shotgun could be banned under one of the gun control measures working its way through the state Capitol, CBS Denver reported Friday.
According to CBS, the standard pump or semi-automatic shotgun is the weapon most Colorado hunters use.
But Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Wray, says that shotguns could be banned under a bill that has already passed the House.
“They’re coming after the standard shotgun,” he told CBS Denver.
The problem is a bill banning high-capacity magazines.
According to Brophy, the bill defines a high-capacity magazine as one that can accept, or be converted to accept more than eight shotgun shells.
Brophy demonstrated how the standard shotgun can be easily converted to hold more than eight shells.
“You can screw this part off the top and screw on an extender to this tube to allow it to hold more than eight rounds. It is readily convertible, which by definition in the bill, makes the whole thing a high-capacity magazine," he explained to CBS' Shaun Boyd.
Brophy doubted that any manufacturer would make shotguns specifically for Colorado hunters if the bill passes.
“We just might not be able to legally purchase a pump shotgun or a semi-automatic shotgun,” he said.
Under the measure being pushed by Democrats, those who own the weapons as of July 1 may keep them as long as they maintain continuous possession of the weapons.
"If it breaks, you can’t give to a gunsmith even to fix it. You can’t hand it to your son to use. It’s all now outlawed because of this 1224, the bill that Gov. Hickenlooper says he’s going to sign," Brophy said, calling the measure the "most extreme thing anybody’s ever done related to firearms.”
Senate Democrats say they will introduce an amendment dealing with the issue on Monday.
"What that amendment looks like and whether it passes remains to be seen," CBS said.
Since the tragic Newtown school shootings, Democrats across the country have introduced measures to restrict the right to keep and bear arms. Some measures, like those proposed in Missouri, Oregon and Minnesota, call for confiscation of so-called "assault weapons."
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members, repeal of Second Amendment
- Joe Biden to Field and Stream: Fire shotgun through the door
- NY Democrat calls gun supporters 'gun toting tea party psychotards' in email
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Democratic lawmaker: Obama must 'exploit' murdered children to get gun control
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- GOP Rep. accuses Obama of using fake Twitter accounts in gun control fight
- Joe Biden: No law-abiding citizen ‘has any fear that their constitutional rights will be infringed’
- Oregon Democrats propose gun confiscation bill requiring warrantless inspections
- White House petition calls for Sen. Dianne Feinstein to be tried for treason
- Missouri GOP rep. uses gun confiscation bill for target practice
- Oregon state senator calls for gun registration, laughs about shooting victim
- Sheriff warns of second American revolution if gun confiscation laws pass
- New NRA ad: Politicians 'don't rule' Americans or 'give us rights'
- Company designs targets with pictures of armed children, pregnant women
- Biden claims shotgun easier for women to use than AR-15; Gun expert disagrees
- Bill by Missouri GOP Rep. would make proposing gun control legislation a felony
- Washington gun control proposal said to violate Fourth Amendment to Constitution
- Annual inspection requirement axed from Washington gun control proposal
- Mexico to ask for registry of guns in border states, national media silent
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Missouri Democrats propose law giving gun owners 90 days to turn in weapons
- Minnesota Democrats pushing gun confiscation bill similar to Missouri's
- Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition
- Arkansas governor signs law allowing concealed guns in churches
- Iowa Democrat: Ban and confiscate semi-automatic guns
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.