A new WorldNetDaily/Wenzel poll finds that only 20 percent of American gun owners would surrender their firearms if ordered to by the government (although an additional 16 percent claimed to be "unsure"--probably not the sort who would be determined enough to face the consequences of defying such an order). From WorldNetDaily:
The scientific telephone survey was conducted March 7-12 and has a margin of error of 2.92 percentage points.
“Among gun owners, 64 percent said they would not relinquish their guns, while 20 percent said they would and another 16 percent of gun owners were unsure on the question,” he said.
In some respects, additional details of the poll carry few surprises. Those who identify themselves as "conservative" are far less likely to surrender their guns than those who call themselves "liberal," Republicans are less likely to submit to disarmament than Democrats, men less likely than women, whites less so than other ethnic groups, and southerners are less likely than inhabitants of other regions.
But if we step back away from the minutiae of the demographic breakdown, we have somewhere between 64 and 80 percent who will not comply with any confiscatory gun bans. And make no mistake, the specter of confiscatory bans is not "paranoid, right-wing delusion," as can be seen be seen in the obscenely misnamed "SAFE Act," in New York, an active program of confiscation of registered firearms in California, and proposals for similar abominations at the federal level:
From Senator Feinstein's early plans for her "assault weapon" ban, (and remember, that's "just the beginning"), to the Obama administration's own National Institute of Justice declaring that "assault weapon" and "high capacity" magazine bans cannot accomplish anything without confiscation, to Rep. Eliot Engel's (D-NY) perennial confiscatory ban of "armor piercing" handguns, the gun prohibitionist lobby very clearly considers confiscation to be a realistic goal, and not just an abstract fantasy for the distant future.
What this poll shows, though, is that aspiring gun banners need to do some math homework. 64 to 80 percent of an estimated 80 million gun owners (a common, if tough to verify, estimate) works out to 51 to 64 million freedom loving, angry--and armed--Americans who intend to stay armed. Taking the math a bit further, that's about 102 to 128 million hands that are not cold and dead, and will be holding guns until they are.
The WND article quotes Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA):
Meanwhile, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who has sponsored a bill that would ban certain types of weapons, said in Congress last week, “We cannot allow the carnage … to continue.”
She has never seen wholesale "carnage," but if she really wants a good look, an attempt to disarm the American citizenry would get her a ringside seat for a level of carnage America hasn't seen since the 1860s--except that there are no ringside seats for aspiring tyrants. She will be in the ring.
Who is going to disarm us? Who is going to kill us, in order to make that possible? Here's something to think about before you answer. There are not enough jackbooted thugs to make it happen. There are not even enough grave diggers to bury the JBTs who might try. We were ready to rumble as three percent of America's gun owners. At 20 or more times that, there won't be enough targets to go around.
Your move, statists. Molon Labe.
- Vanderboegh: A Handgun Against An Army - Ten Years After
- Back by popular demand: "What is a Three Percenter?"
- "You're not scaring away the big, bad government with your .38." Really? How about a single shot .45?
- "Progressive" historical amnesiac sez: "You want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?"
- "Delusional": "What the heck are you doing with over 200 AK47s?"
- Another "Resistance Is Futile" Pimp, this time one claiming to be a professor of history. (I'm guessing he didn't study much.)
- Four years after, "Resistance is Futile": Waco Rules vs. Romanian Rules. Of simple minds and changing times.
- Breitbart is right--we DO have the guns
- The government's war at home
- Oath Keepers alter 'the guys with the guns make the rules' calculus in our favor
- Oath keeping sheriffs provide sharp contrast to oath breaking general
- Oath keeping sheriffs pledge their lives to protect counties from 'gun control'
- Gun ban proponents provoke possible civil war
- Government prepares for war with the people, and mass media approves
- Obama wants to ban 'weapons of war' for Americans, use them to kill Americans
- Manhunt highlights enforcement weaknesses against determined resistance
- Disabled Marine rifles at inauguration signal shift in administration policy (Photos)
- Against citizen disarmament tyranny, resistance is far from futile
- California again proves that purpose of registration is confiscation
- Government scourge of gun owners begins
- California grabs guns and warns residents they’re on their own in next big quake