While appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said the Obamacare website is not a safe place for people to leave personal information, and may have to be rebuilt from scratch.
"I know that they’ve called in another private entity to try to help with the security of it. The problem is, they may have to redesign the entire system,” he said. “The way the system is designed, it is not secure.”
The House Intelligence Committee Chairman also said healthcare.gov could be vulnerable to cyber-mischief because of a potentially leaky data-sharing arrangement between the seven federal agencies that manage different parts of ObamaCare, the New York Post added.
“That’s the weakest, most vulnerable part,” he said. “And it was clear to me they don’t have those boundaries secure.”
One agency, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, says in its fact sheet that their data hub “was specifically designed to minimize security risk, by developing a system that does not retain or store Personally Identifiable Information.”
But at some point, Rogers said, agencies have to store the application, and, he added, that’s a lot of very personal information.
"And it was very clear to me in the hearing that they do not have an overarching, solid cybersecurity plan to prevent the loss of private information,” he added.
In early October, McAfee Anti Virus Software founder John McAfee criticized the site, calling it a "hacker's wet dream."
"There should be one web site run by the government, you can click on the web site and then it will take you to the agencies, this is insane, I will predict that the loss of income, for the millions of Americans who will lose their identities, I mean you can imagine some retired lady in Utah with $75,000 in the bank saving her whole life, having it wiped out in one day because she signed up for Obamacare, and believe me this is going to happen millions of times, this is a hacker’s wet dream, I cannot believe they did this," he told Fox News' Neil Cavuto.
The site -- bugs and all -- has already cost taxpayers over $600 million.
- Obamacare operator fired for taking Hannity call gets year's salary
- Video: Kathleen Sebelius says she doesn’t work for people who want her to resign
- Nancy Pelosi: GOP ‘sabotage’ hindering implementation of Obamacare
- Liberals blame Koch brothers, Tea Party conspiracy for Obamacare site failure
- Juan Williams blames GOP for Obamacare software failures (Video)
- Dem. Rep. John Conyers: Massive Obamacare law a ‘very small and modest bill’
- John Conyers: Obamacare “platform” to socialized health care
- Nancy Pelosi: Obamacare about the freedom to choose happiness
- About that Obamacare penalty: The government has no way of enforcing it
- Report: Obamacare provision will allow ‘forced’ home inspections by gov’t agents
- Architect of Obamacare to release comic book explaining law
- Sebelius: Obamacare to favor gays over straight people
- Most native Americans pay no deductibles or copays with Obamacare
- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews: Orrin Hatch unpatriotic for not worshiping Obama, calling Obamacare a ‘bill’
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.