Sam Jeffries demonstrates flair and expertise as the online host of Green Revolution Talk Radio. Garden Guys, the common name for the show, is live each Friday afternoon from 3 to 4pm EST.
This hour-long call-in program brings a plethora of rotating co-hosts, experts, celebrities and callers. Originating in the northeast U.S., gardening information is good for gardeners all over the country. Listeners call in during the show at (347) 202-0713 to get gardening questions answered. Listeners may also send questions via email at other times. Questions are answered online and may be chosen for inclusion in the radio show.
Jeffries says, "The show is meant to be fun and informative as we are all bombarded weekly by so much negativity." The show's mission, according to Jeffries, is to offer the listeners knowledgeable information and recommend environmentally friendly products based on a combination of education, experience, and total commitment to organics, horticulture and 'green living.'
The Garden Guys Green Revolution Radio Show recently announced its partnership with the National Garden Bureau (NGB) and All America Selections (AAS). A recent visitor to the radio show was Diane Blazek, Executive Director of both gardening organizations. Blazek was a guest on the March 1 and 8 shows and will be a regular guest and contributor to the national weekly broadcast.
Here is a sneak preview from Jeffries of garden personalities scheduled for future shows and those who have expressed interest in joining Jeffries on the show but who do not yet have a definite date.
- First Lady Michelle Obama
- Judy Norton (actress, The Waltons, director)
- Deputy Secretary USDA Kathleen Merrigan
- Phil Proctor (actor, singer, writer, director)
- Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
- Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin
- Diane Blazek (Ex Director National Garden Bureau & All-America Selections)
- Matt Damon (actor; www.water.org)
- Kathy Mathers (VP Public Affairs for the Fertilizer Institute)
- Stephen Coan (Massachusetts State Fire Marshall)
- D.J. Higbie (Director for Disney Horticulture)
- Wayne Petersen (Massachusetts Audubon’s Director of the MassachusettsImportant Bird Areas) (IBA) program
- Dr. Thomas Seeley (from Cornell University, one of the world’s leading experts on honeybees)
- Carolyn Mugar (Executive Director of Farm Aid)
Along with his high-profile guests, Jeffries integrates music into the show. He particularly likes it when the music is the choice of his guest. Jeffries feels that this approach instantly changes the mood of the interview, relaxes the air and offers a bit of respite from the show's routine. This lead-in simultaneously brings out the guest's personality and focuses on a personal touch which the audience truly enjoys.
Another perk for followers of the radio show is the opportunity to sign-up on the web site to receive information about the Garden Guys' Plant of the Week. Plants for the last two weeks of march include Watermelon ‘Faerie’ F1 and Viola 'Shangri-La Marina' F1.
The program went live as a streaming talk show or podcast in September 2012. Previously, Jeffries did Garden Guys radio as live show broadcasting for over ten years in the Boston, Ma area. During this time, he developed a loyal following of Boston-area home gardeners.
Broadcasts are achieved as podcasts. Listeners may access them from the Garden Guys link for immediate listening, or download the RSS link (Rich Site Summary or more commonly Really Simple Syndication) to home computers.